Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Sysmon Error

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Sysmon Error

Posted Jul 16, 2018 04:46 PM

Hi There,

One of my customers is showing a  Sysmon Error in Event Viewer stating that the system is running on low memory. I saw in another post where I can adjust the thresholds in ClearPass so that this error disappears. But at what point should I be concerned about the issue and not just make it disappear? In this case, avaialble memory is 13% There have been no complaints on performance that I am aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Erin O'Reilly

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2018 05:34 PM
    Hi Erin

Is this a hardware version of ClearPass?

Which version?

If it is a VM are the req’s met that come with that version?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

Posted Jul 16, 2018 06:07 PM

Oh, sorry - that's imporant info.

It's the hardware appliance CP-HW-500 version 1. 

If moving to a VM or purchasing ver 2 are the only options, that's fine. (They have 500 MB available out of the 4 GB, so yes, that would fix the issue.) I will make those recommendations. But if there are additional options that can be implemented other than upgrade or migration, that can be taken immediately, I would be interested in knowing those as well. 

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2018 06:10 PM
    Hi Erin

Thanks for the info

Which version of the software are you running on the HW CPPM 500 v1?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

Posted Jul 16, 2018 06:13 PM

They are running 6.7.0.101814.

Installation of Cumulative Patch 10 is in my list of recommendations to them. 

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 12:38 AM
    Hi

Version 1 of the hardware can’t do 6.7.

Upgrades on CP‑HW‑500 Appliances

First-generation CP-HW-500 hardware appliances (CP-HW-500v1) lack the resources to upgrade to ClearPass 6.7.0. These first-generation appliances will continue to operate in the ClearPass 6.6 product line without issue, but cannot be upgraded to 6.7.0. CP-HW-500v1 appliances can be identified by having 4 GB of RAM and a dual core CPU. Purchases after October 2015 should be CP-HW-500v2 hardware, which can be upgraded to ClearPass 6.7.0.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/CP_ReleaseNotes_6.7.0/Content/UpgradeUpdate/VersionConsiderations.htm

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 12:47 AM
    Hi

I would advise to go for a vm on 6.7. VM’s are more flexible. The min req’s for a vm with 6.7 is 8 vCPU and 8GB memory. That’s why the version 1 HW is not suitable and is giving the error

Hope this helps.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

Posted Jul 17, 2018 01:08 AM

Hi Frank,

Sorry! I cut and pasted the wrong version from my documentation.

They are actually running 6.6.8.1007.

I've made them aware of the eos on 6.6.x  and the upgrade limitations on ver 1 and advised migration to VM and upgrade to 6.7.x. I think their plan is to ride it out as long as possible and dump ClearPass.

I'm hoping by getting it working correctly for them on their current version, they might change their minds. So my goal is to do as much as i can with what I have.

Thanks,

Erin

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 01:33 AM
    Hi Erin,

Upgrade to 6.6.10, at least

Dump ClearPass? Why?

Please encourage them to keep using ClearPass with all the features of 6.6/6.7. If they are on the old hardware do they know about profiling? Are they using it?

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

Posted Jul 17, 2018 01:58 AM

Hi Frank,

Their current configuration isn't done correctly and therefore they aren't using it as it should be used and experiencing the full benefits. They are frustrated.

They are using profiling in the sense that yes, it is enabled. But I don't get the sense that they are using the information.

So yes, I have recommended that they install patch 10 for now (hopefully that won't make the low memory issue worse?) Along with many other recommendations that should alleviate their frustrations. As well as educating them on what ClearPass can do. Then ideally they will have me implement everything I'm recommending and eventually take the recommendation to stick with it, migrate to a VM, and go to 6.7.  

But it is one of those situations where they need some proof. Coming in to fix the less-than-stellar installations is a challenge both technically and politically.

Erin

• 11.  RE: ClearPass Sysmon Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 03:35 PM

Hi Erin,

True,

Good luck with this customer. If possible get help from your local Aruba SE.