Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 27, 2020 08:36 AM
      |   view attached

Hi 

I have a small setup with an Aruba Mobility Controller + one AP and ClearPass running. Now I would like to automatically put users that connect to my WLAN in the correct VLAN, but in my controller I can only give 1 vlan id per SSID.

So i have 1 SSID and ClearPass need to assign for example Phones to vlan 8 and laptops to vlan 9. (With one SSID) I've tried to create an vlan pool in the controller with all the necessary vlans in it; but then is does nothing. Also if i use in clearpass the vlan id attribute it do nothing. Can someone help me?

• 2.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 08:55 AM

You should assign VLANs in the roles, and return a role from clearpass. You can control what VLAN or VLAN Pool a user gets, based on what role they end up in. You can have a role for phones, domain computers, guests, and assign them to separate networks and enforce firewall policies upon them.

To configure the VLAN for the role, make sure you have "show advanced profiles" turned on. From there, open the role, choose "show advanced view", and then go to more. Under here, assign your VLAN to the role.

21-1.jpg

3.jpg

1-1.jpg

• 3.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:18 AM

First of all, thanks for your reply! 

I still don't really understand. You can give a vlan with a role. But in the controller you can only give 1 role with 1 SSID, so also only 1 vlan?
    Or am I wrong?

• 4.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:35 AM

You can always return the RADIUS attribute 'Aruba-User-Vlan' from the CPPM in order to return the a VLAN to the SSID. So you will have your Virtual AP defined with a single VLAN. If the attribute 'Aruba-User-Vlan' is returned from CPPM, it will override the VLAN defined in the VAP profile.

If needed you can also return a 'Aruba-User-Role' which can also being referencing a User Role with a defined VLAN on the controller.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/AAA_Servers/Configuring_Servers.htm#RADIUS

• 5.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:58 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I have in Clearpass an enforcement profile to assign vlan 7.

enforcementProfile.PNG

This profile is assigned in my service like you can see:

Service.PNG

This service is for the correct SSID i am using, but stil if i connect it wil nog change the vlan to 7.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 10:05 AM

Just so I understand, if your enviroment despite the user matching the correct Service and the correct Enforcement Profile is assigned (confirmed in Access Tracker) the client is not assigned VLAN 7?

If you run the command 'show user [MAC or IP]' on the controller. It will help identify which VLAN and how that VLAN was assigned.

For example:

Role Derivation: ROLE_DERIVATION_INITIAL_ROLE
    VLAN Derivation: Default VLAN
    Vlan default: 10, Assigned: 10, Current: 10 vlan-how: 1 DP assigned vlan:0

**EDIT** Can you also post your Enforcement Profile for the VLAN8 & VLAN9? As you can see below (this is for a wired authentication but the concept is the same). Depending on my Tips role (determine by profiling the device in this case), I assign a VLAN based on its context.

enfocrement].PNG

• 7.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 27, 2020 10:19 AM

This i the command output in the controller:

ControllerCommand.PNG

In the access tracker i see it is accepted en the vlan7 enforcement is also in it:

VLAN7.PNG

PS: there is nog vlan 8 and 9 it was just an example for in the future.  

I have only vlan 4 my management and vlan 7 for the guest.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 10:28 AM

Can you provide the 'show user' output showing the assigned VLAN? The configuration on CPPM appears to be correct if the correct service and enforcement profile is being matched. Is VLAN7 correctly configured on your controller?

• 9.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 27, 2020 10:36 AM

This is the output:

output.PNG

What should i configure on my controller? The controller just knows the vlan from the switch.

• 10.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 10:47 AM

If you want to assigned multiple VLANs to a single SSID then you need to configure the Enforcement Profiles on CPPM to return the VLANs to the controller. You would also need to configure the VLANs on the controller so the controller can tag/untag the traffic correctly.

Looking at your screenshot the client has been assigned VLAN4, which is the default VLAN. Have you configured (show vlan) VLAN7 on the controller?

• 11.  RE: ClearPass VLAN assignment using Aruba Mobility Controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2020 09:53 AM

For the WLAN you can assign initial roles, default roles, etc for just returning a RADIUS Accept. Same with the VLAN, it would be default. But with roles you can control access by assigning users to them via Clearpass.