Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Default Gateways on Controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Client Default Gateways on Controllers

Posted Oct 30, 2018 08:27 AM

HI there,

We're running an AOS 6.5 Master/Local controller deployment and, for various annoying reasons, I'd like to move the routing function for the tunnelled user VLANs away from our core routers and onto the Controllers themselves. 

I don't intend to use dynamic routing, just default routes and statics.

I've tested setting up a VRID (VRRP) for a client gateway address with static routes from our network and it all seems to work as expected.

However I have read snippets of info which suggest it's not a good idea to configure the client gateways on the controllers.

Any idea why?  Is it still a recommended design? 

Many thanks,

Ste

• 2.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 08:58 AM

It can be done, without issue, period.  In many networks it is not recommended because you want client traffic to be an overlay to your routed network, instead of your controller being part of that network.  If your network was ever redesigned, you will have to redesign the controller network, as well, instead of client traffic just following a redesigned network.

• 3.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

Posted Oct 31, 2018 09:40 AM

thanks for the reply.

appreciated.

• 4.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

Posted Oct 31, 2018 10:19 AM

Oh, one more thing if I may?

Are there any gotchas if I want to implement OSPF on the controllers?  Or is that not recommended?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2018 10:25 AM

Is this a large-scale distributed environment?

• 6.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

Posted Oct 31, 2018 10:39 AM

2000+ APs tunnelled back to 2 x 7240 Controllers in our Data Centres.

I'll implement OSPF on the controllers to our core routers.

• 7.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2018 11:05 AM

That is a large-scale deployment.  I hope you have professional services or a reseller help you with that.

• 8.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

Posted Oct 31, 2018 11:14 AM

Thanks, yes we have had professional services input into the design and implementation thus far.

I just sense a reluctance to confirm if OSPF works properly on the controllers and, like I mentioned, I had seen comments suggesting that they shouldn't even be used for routing.  Although you've kindly cleared that aspect up for me.

• 9.  RE: Client Default Gateways on Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2018 11:30 AM

Typically OPSF is run on controllers if you have controllers at those 2000 sites with a few subnets behind them.  With a single controller being the default gateway of 2000 sites, it would be easier to have a summary route pointing to the controller, instead of running OSPF.