Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client History

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Client History

Posted Jan 09, 2014 11:02 AM

I have an aruba 650 controller on 6.3

Is there any way of viewing previously connected devices?  I am wanting to be able to tell my customer "On this date you had 'X' number of devices connected"

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Client History

Posted Jan 09, 2014 11:10 AM

To be able to show history like you are asking about, you will need an external service like Aruba Airwave.

The Controller does not save data like this for a long time, while Aruba Airwave logs this history for a long time.

• 3.  RE: Client History

Posted Jan 10, 2014 06:26 AM

Thanks for your replies.  

We don't have an extrenal syslog server nor do we have airwave.  I dont see my customer buying airwave (but can always introduce him to it).  Do you think having an external syslog server is the best way to achieve my goal?

• 4.  RE: Client History
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 10, 2014 06:41 AM

If you are using 802.1x, you could make a report from the radius server, showing all devices/users that associate on the given date.

Your radius server should allready log this.

• 5.  RE: Client History

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2014 08:08 AM

We have ClearPass and AirWave and both are sending syslogs (Splunk) which can build even more complex reports and data streams.

There is a free version of Splunk available for commercial and non-commercial use that allows indexing of up to 500 MB of logs per day.

• 6.  RE: Client History

Posted Jan 09, 2014 12:36 PM

Do you have an external syslog and if soo what type of authentication are you using for the clients?

Yes, the preffered way would be some type of extenral monitoring device - Airwave is the best example here.

But if you have stored logs depending on the auth type you might get the statistics you are looking for.

• 7.  RE: Client History

Posted Jan 10, 2014 03:01 AM
    In the syslog server, What type of authentication is required to store such data?