Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

This thread has been viewed 72 times
  • 1.  Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted Jul 29, 2014 06:07 PM

I have a question regarding the Client-Match configurations. I found the following document on Aruba Network referencing Client-Match Configurations related to Sticky Clients. 

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/Client-Match-configuration-related-to-Sticky-Clients-AOS-6-3-and-above 

The documentation does reference settings to deal with sticky clients. 

• Client Match - default is Enabled, and needs to be enabled for sticky client algorithms to work.
    • Client Match Sticky Client Check Interval (sec) - How often SNR is checked to see if client is sticky. Default is 3.
    • Client Match Sticky client check SNR (dB) - If client's SNR drops below 25, then controller will search for a better candidate AP. Default is 25.
    • Client Match SNR threshold(dB) - Minimum SNR improvement between current AP and desired target AP for the move. Default is 10.
    • Client Match Sticky Min Signal - Minimum signal level required for target AP. Default is 70.

The document outlines 5 points that address sticky clients. Are there other best practices/recommendations for Client-Match that also address the Sticky Client issue? I want to determine if my controller has the most optimized settings for Client-Match or if there are areas that I can tweek to get better performance. 

Client Match Enabled
    Client Match report interval (sec) 30
    Allows Client Match to automatically clear unsteerable clients after ageout Enabled
    Client Match Unsteerable Client Ageout Interval 2 Days 0 Hours
    Client Match Band Steer G Band Max Signal (-dBm) 45
    Client Match Band Steer A Band Min Signal (-dBm) 75
    Client Match Sticky Client Check Interval (sec) 3
    Client Match Sticky client check SNR (dB) 18
    Client Match SNR threshold(dB) 10
    Client Match Sticky Min Signal 65
    Client Match Restriction timeout (sec) 10
    Client Match Load Balancing threshold (%) 20
    Client Match VBR Stale Entry Age (sec) 120
    Client Match Max steer failures 2
    Client Match Load Balancing client threshold 30
    Client Match Load Balancing SNR threshold (dB) 30
    Client Match Load Balancing signal delta bound (dB) 5

• 2.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2014 10:20 PM

You should not have to touch any of the settings.  It will take care of sticky clients automatically.  Just make sure your AP power is either 12 min, 18 max or 9 min 15 max.

• 3.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:39 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response and info about the AP power. I'll definitely look into adjusting power on the APs. Hopefully, that will improve the roaming and reduce the number of sticky clients.

One other question/concern relates to the Client Match Sticky client check SNR(db) value of 25 recommendation. Currently, my controller default is set to 18. Since the recommended value is 25, should I move forward with changing the value from 18 to 25?

• Client Match - default is Enabled, and needs to be enabled for sticky client algorithms to work.
    • Client Match Sticky Client Check Interval (sec) - How often SNR is checked to see if client is sticky. Default is 3.
    • Client Match Sticky client check SNR (dB) - If client's SNR drops below 25, then controller will search for a better candidate AP. Default is 25.
    • Client Match SNR threshold(dB) - Minimum SNR improvement between current AP and desired target AP for the move. Default is 10.
    • Client Match Sticky Min Signal - Minimum signal level required for target AP. Default is 70.

• 4.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted Jul 30, 2014 11:01 AM

I checked the values for both Max Tx EIRP and Min Tx EIRP. I noticed the values are diffferent with OS version.

On the controller running OS 6.4.1.0, the values are Max-127, Min 9.

On the controller running OS 6.2.1.4, the values are Max-15, Min-12.

• 5.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted May 28, 2015 12:28 PM

Hi cjoseph,

You mentioned 

"Just make sure your AP power is either 12 min, 18 max or 9 min 15 max."

On an aruba Instant configuration with AP225s, there is only one setting per AP, not per radio. Which setting is the most appropriate? I have an AP225 in every classroom at secondary schools, and one every other classroom at elementary schools.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2015 12:40 PM

What version of Instant are you running at that site?  ClientMatch on instant is different than the controller-based version.

• 7.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted May 28, 2015 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. We are running Instant v 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

• 8.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2015 02:28 PM

I would disable ClientMatch on that specific version of code on IAP.

• 9.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted May 28, 2015 04:40 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

I would disable ClientMatch on that specific version of code on IAP.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if this is addressed in a newer version?

• 10.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2015 04:56 PM

I do not think so.  Let me check.

• 11.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted Aug 17, 2015 03:24 PM

Sorry to but in.

I have IAP135's and running version 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.4_49446

Should I also disable client match, because I'm having trouble with sticky clients currently?

• 12.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2015 03:56 PM
    If you have sticky clients, you can remove lower rates to encourage clients to move sooner, instead of clientmatch in that version.

• 13.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

Posted Nov 14, 2015 01:36 PM

Any more information on removing lower rates in IAP firmware?

• 14.  RE: Client-Match Configurations - What Are Best Practices to Address Sticky Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 01:41 PM
    What information in specific? Removing the lower rates should have the same effect in instant as well as controller-based. Your coverage could decrease as a result.