Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Match on IAPs

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Client Match on IAPs

Posted Apr 10, 2017 05:54 PM

Hi guys,

I have read about the advantages of Client Match: it avoids sticky clients, it balances clients accross APs based upon client load, etc. However, I am surprised Client Match is disabled by default on Instant APs. Is there any advantage of having Client Match disabled?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 06:52 PM

Client Match had problems early in instant, so by default it is off, unless anyone turns it on.  Right now it works just fine, but they did not want to change the default for everyone who had it off.

• 3.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Apr 11, 2017 10:03 AM

Thanks Colin!

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Aug 23, 2017 12:09 PM

Hi Colin,

I would like to enable Client Match in a cluster of Instant. Is it recommended to enable? If so, are the default parameters fine?

• 5.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 12:18 PM

Yes to both.

• 6.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Aug 24, 2017 05:53 PM

Hi Colin,

I was about to enable Client Match with default parameters, but I have read in Aruba Instant VRD that Client Match is not recommended in every scenario:

clientmatchrecomm.PNG

My scenario is "Sparse AP with Data only". When it says default I think it means default setting, and the default setting column says disabled. Do you know the reason why the recommended setting is disabled? Or does it mean disabled only for InstantOS earlier than 4.1.1.1 as it says this note also included in the VRD?

note.PNG

On the other hand I would also set Airtime fairness to Fair Access since it is the recommended setting, if you have any recommendation about Airtime fairness it would also be appreciated.

• 7.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2017 09:28 PM

If you leave client match and airtime fairness at the defaults, you will be just fine.

If there is any problems with connectivity or throughput, those are the first two things that we turn off to see the actual performance of clients.

• 8.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Aug 25, 2017 08:09 AM
    Hi Colin,

Ok, thanks for claryfing that. But when you say leaving at the defaults, do you mean disabled? Because in Instant default value for Client Match is disabled and for Airtime fairness is Default access (though it says Fair access in the VRD)?

• 9.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 08:27 AM

Client Match disabled and Airtime Fairness on Default access.

• 10.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Aug 25, 2017 08:47 AM

Hi Colin,

Sorry for continuing with the post but in message 5 you said it is recommended to enable Client Match but in your last messages you say that leaving client match at the default which is disabled I will be just fine. So now I don't know if enable or disable it.

• 11.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 09:45 AM

Leave it disabled.  

You need to understand what the feature does before you enable it.

• 12.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

Posted Aug 25, 2017 10:58 AM

Hi Colin,

I know what this feature does as I mentioned at the beggining of this post, the only point is I don't have hands-on experience with it. I think I will leave disabled Client Match and Airtime fairness and in the case there are problems with throughput or roaming I will start tuning with this features. Thanks for your help.

• 13.  RE: Client Match on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:31 AM

Those features are meant to tune your network after it is up and running properly.  They are certainly not mandatory and can cause problems if they are not configured properly.