Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Match testing

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Client Match testing

Posted Apr 19, 2018 05:48 PM

Hello Dears,

I'm using Aruba 7210 Controller with 6.5.2.1 software version. I see that Client Match is activated by default, is there some other parameters to be configured for Client Match to work well???

My customer is insisting that there are still some sticky clients. Could you please let me know how can I prove that Client Match is working well (printscreens, reports, ...etc)?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Client Match testing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:13 PM
    - Clients make their own decision whether to roam or stay
    - Client Match can try to influence the decision, but the client ultimately makes the decision.
    - if the power on the access points exceeds the transmit power of the clients by too much, there might be nothing that client match can do...

• 3.  RE: Client Match testing

Posted Apr 20, 2018 05:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please explain more this point :

- if the power on the access points exceeds the transmit power of the clients by too much, there might be nothing that client match can do...

I understand that Client Macth working will depend on end user terminal?

• 4.  RE: Client Match testing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2018 07:20 AM

A good description of how clientmatch is supposed to work is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/ARM/Client_Match.htm

ClientMatch tries to do three things:

1 - Move dual-band clients to the A band (band-steer)

2 - Load balance clients when too many clients are on a radio (load-balance)

3 - Move clients to another radio when we see that they should be on a

better access point. (sticky client)

#1 occurs fairly quickly to make sure that users end up on the A radio.

#2 starts happening when there are 30 users or more on an access point

#3 happens when (1) an access point sees a user much stronger than the access point the user is on currently (2) that user was seen less than 2 minutes ago.

With regards to #3, if you have more access point density, stickly clients would be detected more quickly and moves would take place more quickly.  Also, if the client is not seen that much stronger by the access point we want the client on, no move is made.  Lastly, to make sure the user is not moving, the user typically would have to have been on an access point for two minutes before we attempt a "sticky" move.  In summary, there are quite a few factors to have to be in play for a client to be move to another access point due to stickiness.  We want to make sure the client is not moving, and that the next access point is much better than the previous one.  Having more access point density would make sticky moves more efficient.

With that being said, keeping the transmit power of the access point closer to the transmit power of the clients, would make clients make better roaming decisions so that the client match sticky algorithm does not have to move them along.

To see clientmatch moves, use these commands;

(Aruba7640-US) # show ap arm client-match ?       
    debug                   Show ARM Client Match debug information
    history                 Show Client Match History
    neighbors               Neighbor APs seen by all associated clients
    pending                 Show Client Match Pending Moves
    probe-report            Show list of clients probing in the vicinity of the 
                            AP
    restriction-table       Show Client Match Restrictions at AP
    summary                 Client Match summary
    unsupported             Show list of unsteerable clients

• 5.  RE: Client Match testing

Posted Apr 26, 2018 06:26 PM

Thank you so much for your answer. But I didn't understand that point:

(2) that user was seen less than 2 minutes ago.

Could you please clarify more.

Thks

• 6.  RE: Client Match testing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 06:44 PM

We need to know that the user has not moved in two minutes before we would move them.  This is to make sure that the user's currentl location is not "stale" before we attempt to move them.