Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client de-auth, no IP

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Client de-auth, no IP

Posted Jun 11, 2018 04:17 PM

Received a ticket today from a user who was "dropped" from WiFi while sitting in their office (yellow "no internet access" icon).  User was not able to re-connect and eventually plugged in to get back online. 120 other users in the suite having no problems at all.  In searching the user's MAC in the logs, I came across this entry dozens of times:

Jun 11 13:26:06 2018 XXXX-XX-WC-01 authmgr[3969]: <199802> <ERRS>
    <XXXX-XX-WC-01 10.10.2.4> message.c, handle_sta_up_dn:2649:
    handle_sta_up_dn(): 2649, fast-roam for mac e4:a4:71:19:a9:29 before
    ip-user is created. Send de-auth.

I've never encountered this error before.  The client is GPO-attached to an 802.1x SSID that does not have 11r or 11k enabled.  Radius server logs don't seem to indicate a problem.  Any ideas before I open a case?  Code level 6.4.4.16 w/ 7200 WLC's and AP225's.

• 2.  RE: Client de-auth, no IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:33 PM

Have you tried upgrading the client wireless drivers to the latest?

• 3.  RE: Client de-auth, no IP

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:48 PM

At his point I have not, as this is a standard-issue laptop running the same NIC and driver package as hundreds if not thousands of others and this isn't something I've seen previously.  That being said, it is an Intel 8260 and those of us that lived through the 7260 experience know to never trust!  I spoke with the user tonight and he reported that he put the laptop into sleep mode, took it home and when it woke, it wouldn't connect at home either. He then rebooted it and it was fine, and I'm sure it will be fine at the office tomorrow and probably for the rest of it's service life in our organization.  We're due for a driver review so I'm going to start testing with the 20.50 package this week and get this particular user on the pilot.  

• 4.  RE: Client de-auth, no IP

Posted Jun 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Long shot but check the power settings in device manager. Don't let the card go to sleep to save power. 

• 5.  RE: Client de-auth, no IP

Posted Jun 13, 2018 07:43 PM
    As it turns out it appears to be a client driver glitch. The user took the laptop home and it refused to connect there either, until it was rebooted. He upgraded to the latest driver and we're keeping an eye on it. Thanks.

[cid:image002.png@01CF79AC.89A68080]

www.ascension.org

Dave Terrian
    Technology Engineering
    Senior Analyst (Wireless)
    Mobile: 586-596-3160
    david.terrian@ascension.org

One Mission. One Integrated Ministry. One Ascension.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.