Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

Posted Jun 06, 2019 03:30 PM

Hi,

We've implemented a new wireless network setup with 19x AP-515 and 1x AP-365, terminated on a 7010 Mobility Controller, running AOS 8.4.2 in stand-alone controller mode, without a Mobility Master.

Customer is complaining about client association that's not going smooth or optimal. When roaming through the building, the client stays connected to an AP that's far more away than another AP that's close so the client. After some time, when signal is too weak, the client associates with the closest AP, but with connection loss to the network.

I think some parameter(s) is missing or wrong, but can not figure out which...

Can you guys please help me out to troubleshoot and fix this?

What configuration or logs do you need?

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2019 03:43 PM

In this order,

ARM Maximum Transmit power is too high (start at 18 or lower)

Do NOT use 80mhz channels

Remove lower transmit rates on your SSIDs to fine-tune roaming.

• 3.  RE: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

Posted Jun 07, 2019 07:23 AM

Hi cjoseph,

I have checked the ARM tranmit powers:

default-a
    Min Tx EIRP 12 dBm
    Max Tx EIRP 18 dBm

default-g
    Min Tx EIRP 6 dBm
    Max Tx EIRP 9 dBm

I think these values are OK like that?

I have now disabled the 80Mhz channels (on ARM profiles + High-Throughput SSID profile).

Should that be OK then?

Do I need to configure something in terms of 802.11r or k?

• 4.  RE: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

Posted Jun 14, 2019 04:35 AM

Hi cjoseph,

Is is possible to give me a reply please? Thx!

• 5.  RE: Client not associating with the most nearby AP and connection loss when roaming between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2019 06:35 AM

What you have in your previous post is good as a starting point.

As wirh everything else, if this is service-impacting you should open a TAC case:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/