Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

Posted Sep 05, 2018 04:39 AM

Had seen this once, so asumed it may have been a client issue so left the PC guys looking at it, however, Ive now seen this on 2 other occasions.

The SSID is broadcast out of all groups across site, the client seems to connect fine apart from in one area.  The AP is in the same group as others that the client will connect to fine.  So if the device goes to an adjacent area, it will connect, return it to the problematic area, it wont connect.  My laptop connects to the AP and SSID fine, but this other device wont. 

The only thing that I can think of that may be a link or just conincidence, is that these APs were converted 315 IAPs.  The recent batch of 315's we have received have all been instants, unlitke the previuos 100+ we had.  But having said that, the AP is in a main group with other APs that doent seem to have issues.

So far this problem is apparant in two seperate areas on site across APs in two different groups.  But seems very localised to certain APs.

We have 7220 controllers, running 6.5.3.3 code.

Does anything obvious spring to mind, before I start looking at AP/Cleint debug logs?  Any commands in particular I should be looking at, as not overly familiar with debugging.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:18 AM

Make sure the client VLAN is trunked to that IAP with the problem.

• 3.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

Posted Sep 05, 2018 08:15 AM

ts no longer an IAP, its been converted into a controller managed AP that is in a group with APs without issues.

• 4.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

MVP
    Posted Sep 09, 2018 09:22 PM
    could it be the channel that AP is operating on? I've seen a similar issue with devices when DFS channels were in use, but the device didn't support them, made the AP essentially invisible to the client. You can also check the data rates, make sure your device is attempting to negotiate at a supported rate. A third thing could be interference, if noise level near to that particular AP is high and client has a weak radio, it may result in multiple lost frames and retries affecting the connection.

#AirheadsMobile

• 5.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

Posted Sep 09, 2018 09:47 PM

Per my experience, the first thing is to make sure all vlans work fine if you are using vlan pool. Second you could check the channels of those APs which are located in the problem area.  And then the last thing you could do is reboot those problem APs. I met such issue several times and rebooting could fixed the problem.

• 6.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

Posted Sep 19, 2018 10:01 AM

Thanks for all of your advice...

We think the cause may have been down to another vendors wifi within the same area.  Unfortunatley, in some areas we have another wifi network, and once I got them to turn their wifi off, the devices connected!

This then brings me to similar issues in another department, who on the floor above and below have both ours and another suppliers wifi, so essentially 3 different wifi networks.  Above and below are Open networks, and I have real difficulty connecting to any of our ssid's, but can connect to theirs fine.

Other than this connectivity issues, what would be the best logs to look at to prove that the presence of these other wifi networks is the cause of our issues?  

• 7.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2018 10:59 PM

@$k3l3t0r wrote:

Other than this connectivity issues, what would be the best logs to look at to prove that the presence of these other wifi networks is the cause of our issues?  

Packet capture(s) on the channel(s) being used by your AP so that you can see exactly what is happening during the association attempt.

• 8.  RE: Client will not connect to an SSID on certain APs
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:20 PM

We had aruba TAC look at this and they concluded it to be down to an AOS bug, so we upgraded to 6.5.4.8 which resolved all of the connectivity issues!