Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client wireless change AP even stationary

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Client wireless change AP even stationary

Posted Dec 07, 2016 10:50 PM

I've conduct a test on wireless environment. Basic network coverage and setting are all good or atleast that what I want to believe. There are a lot on AP placed on one area to support lots of user devices. The problem is that there are still around 70% of the user using 2.4GHz and I find that the AP coverage overlap with each other. At first it seem that no problem occur. But then when I further monitor the wireless network, I find that there are user which get limited access to the network and there are intermittent of data occur. 

I further the test and found the cause of the intermittent is that the user device change from AP1 to AP2 even when stationary. I know that maybe because AP2 have higher coverage on that area but then the device is located under the the AP1. Supposedly AP1 have a good signal on that area. Maybe it was cause by the AP1 itself as it seem that AP1 kicked out the device. Or to be precise, thwe device was forced to connect to other AP. 

Relating to that, do someone know the reasons of why a wireless client change to another AP even if the device is stationary and located under the AP itself.

If you have any idea regarding this I will really appreciate it.

• 2.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2016 10:55 PM

Your users end up on the 2.4ghz because it propagates further than the 5ghz band.  The maximum transmit power on the 2.4ghz band for ARM needs to be 3 to 6 db lower than the 5ghz to encourage them to stay on 5ghz.

For clients that roam even when they are stationary; that means that the transmit power is too high and/or your clients see too many access points.  Turning down the maximum transmit power could solve both of your issues.

• 3.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

Posted Dec 08, 2016 02:18 AM

I get the idea..I've attached this reply with the screenshot of the wireless environment which currently I'm monitoring. 

1. I noticed there are AP which has same channel close to each other. I know that we may not be able to do anything as 2.4GHz only have 3 preferable channel (1,6,11). 

2. Client see too many AP is cause by the overlapping of wireless signal, which mean maybe the transmit power was too high for the environment. In general i already know that, but then is there no way to overcome this problem. Does ARM really working..? or does we need additional setting to make it better..?

The problem in minimizing the transmit power is that our coverage will also decrease. So what do we do..?

If you have suggestion on how to set the ARM or even manual configuration to overcome this issues please get back to me.

Thank you for your guidance.

• 4.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:05 AM

A screenshot of Dashboard> Performance in the controller GUI would be more useful.

• 5.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

Posted Dec 08, 2016 08:12 PM
      |   view attached

I'm sorry..here's the screenshot..I'm glad if you can help me..

• 6.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 12:18 AM

Your statistics do not look bad overall, but I would click on the boxes where the channel utilization is 40 to 50, 50 to 60 and 60 to 70 and find out what those access points are.  That is what you should focus on.  If you make any changes to help your situation, you should compare your screenshot with the same page after you make changes.

Lastly, please consult the page here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 for tips on improving performance, overall...  You can use some of the suggestions, and again look at that channel utilization strip and compare if more or fewer APs have lower or higher utilization to understand if you are going in the right direction.

• 7.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

Posted Dec 09, 2016 02:15 AM

Is the link you shared still available..? I've a problem to access it..

• 8.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

EMPLOYEE

• 9.  RE: Client wireless change AP even stationary

Posted Mar 02, 2020 04:17 AM

Hello guys, I have experienced the same issue yesterday with the latest AOS version 8.6 on 7010 mobility controller.

I noticed that some clients are connected to far AP , their health is "fair" and their SNR is low.

when issuing the "show log user-debug" command I noticed that clients continuously roam among APs, right before the "roaming log", a deassociate log is present with reason code "68", I googled this reason everywhere, it is a reserved code but nobody knows its meaning.

The action taken -which I am not quite sure if it is the right one- was as follows:

1. Configure the VAP profile to "advertise the 802.11i 

2. secondly I wanted to enfore client assosiation to the nearest AP, according to the "good" health clients, the average SNR was like 50db, so I went and configured Local probe threshold on the ssid profile to 45 db

Things so far are fine, but I want to dig deeper and validate the resolution.

what is the real reason for roaming stationary clients, is it related to "ClientMatch" feature or other? what makes a client deassociate from an AP which is the best for this client . and how I properly tune my configured values?