Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ClientMatch and load balancing

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:10 PM

Hi guys,

Does ClientMatch includes load balancing or they are separated features? I believe in earlier versions of ArubaOS ClientMatch included load balancing, but in new versions they are separated features, but I am not sure. Also I don't know if this has to do with ArubaOS or InstantOS. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:50 PM
    ClientMatch still load balance clients between APs

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 18, 2018 07:35 PM
    Hi,

But can load balancing be enabled with ClientMatch disabled in ArubaOS? In Instant APs I see ClientMatch and load balancing as different options.

Regards,
    Julián

• 4.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:33 PM
    In AOS 8 if clustering you can load balance clients across the controllers , this will work whether clientmatch is enabled or not

ClientMatch load balance clients across the APs if enabled

Thank you

Victor Fabian

• 5.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 19, 2018 07:54 AM
    Hi,

But I am not talking about load balance clients between controllers but between APs. If load balancing can be enabled with ClientMatch disabled in controllers. Because in Instant APs I see ClientMatch and load balancing as different options.

• 6.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 19, 2018 09:30 AM
    Don’t understand what you are asking , you need ClientMatch to achieve this

Thank you

Victor Fabian

• 7.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 19, 2018 10:37 AM

Hi,

I mean that ClientMatch and load balancing are different features that can be configured separately. But I have double checked the ArubaOS user guide and found the answer:

cm&lb.PNG

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 19, 2018 10:56 AM
    Load balancing is part of ClientMatch , if you have any 802.11ac Aps the legacy/older features wont work (spectrum load balancing)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 9.  RE: ClientMatch and load balancing

Posted Sep 19, 2018 11:33 AM

Yes it is right.

My confusion was with legacy 802.11n APs. With legacy 802.11n APs, you could enable spectrum load balancing and have ClientMatch disabled:

Spectrum load balancing is disabled by default, and can be enabled for 2.4G traffic through an 802.11g profile or for 5G traffic through an 802.11a RF management profile. The spectrum load balancing feature also requires that the 802.11a or 802.11g RF management profiles reference an ARM profile with ARM scanning enabled.

Although that was not recommended:

ClientMatch is recommended over the legacy bandsteering and spectrum load balancing features, which, unlike client match, do not trigger AP changes for clients already associated to an AP.

When you enable client match on 802.11n-capable devices, the client match feature overrides any settings configured for the legacy bandsteering, station handoff assist or load balancing features.

Regards,

Julián