Wireless Access

Highlighted

Re: Clients changing at different speed constantly

Yeah i did more test...

I moved my controller and plugged it directly to the CORE SWITCH like i always do on the cilents...

The throupgut speed improved from 3-4MB/sec to 10-11MB/sec which is  a greate improve but still is slower than when i put bridge mode.

I already checked if i had errors on the ports which i don t have no anomalies no nothing... its all good.

In tunnel mode all the vlans are separatedly....  the Wireless vlan is another than the wired vlan... on the case on the bridge more its the same... because i just wanted a fast test...  and i think it wont affect that much i mean... on that wired vlan there is just one machine for now... and also i got drop broadcast and multicast...

Anyways moving on wow this things are things that we should also take in consideration when desigining this solution... i didnt realize how important it is... i have been doing it to fallow like the best practice.. but didnt realize how much differnet it does....

Now i guess like if i would be able to put the link aggregation iw ould able to achive those 18.5MB/sec im getting on Bridge mode on tunnel mode.

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I honestly don't think it will be to do with you needing to aggregate more ports into the controller. The port you've got attached is gigabit yes?

What version of code is running on your 620?

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Highlighted

Yep of course is on Gigabit  i already checked that is really syncronized to 1gb no erros blah blah blha. :)

The version is 6.2.0.3

Why you honestly don tthink it will improve the performance?

By now the performance is on top when puttting it on brdige

On tunnel mode in the switch on my desk its on 4MB/sec

When plugging the Controller directly to the core improved to 10MB/sec

Dont think is the switch on my desk..  as if i plug my computer directly a good throughput...  now we have to be really clear what is the best way to connect everything as it clearley  affect the throughput... or at least it what im looking on my lab...

Dont have a 650 to test a linkagg to see if it improve...

Alternetworks Corp
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

You're not going to get anywhere close to 1Gbit throughput in your test, so I don't think adding extra ports to the controller-switch connection is going to add value at this stage.

I can't explain the difference you see when attaching to different switches without seeing a network topology diagram, including switch models and configs.

First up though, 6.2.0.3 is an early deployment code. If I were you, I'd try downgrading to 6.1.3.7 and re-testing.

Of course it wont get any near 1 gb i know that.  In a real scenario this would make a differnece... in my lab it wont.   As the maximum teorical throughput its 600... 300 for each band.. i know that...

I mean when you get other things like more APS  traffic in the network... Which is the client  scenario...

In my lab Im getting 18.5 and its GREAT  its what i expect......

now thing is that those were the results

Bridge mode = total throughput i expect

AP on tunel mode  like 14  which is less...

Naturally the Traffic goes from the AP to the wireless controller then to the CORE switch, then it send it to the destination, then it send it back to the core switch and then it send it to the controller and then it send it back inside the tunnel bakc to the AP...

Now im loosing throughput doing all that...

I just don twant you get the worng im idea im lost in this... i know what you mean when you telling me the thorughput wont get near close the 1 giga i just wasnt thinking when i said it in a single AP and a single client, i was thinking in the real enviroment which is like 16 APS.   All APS going to the maximum can bottle neck the single gigabit interface between the controller and the switchore... it was just a misunderstanding though.

Now my real questoin would be

What snould be the throughput i should expect from a AP that is tunneling to the controller?

I guess the asnwer would be that it totally depends...

Depends that all the uplinks are giga... and much better if they are doing LAGG.  How many other traffic is going through that single interface that goes from the switch that the AP is plugged to the switch core?

But when i did the test all the interfeces between the AP and the Wireless controller which i had something liek this

WC---SWCORE--SWL2----AP

You actually have to take in mind many things when deploying the APS, in which Switches you will put it... as it could be a 10/100/1000 48 ports switch  which is plugged with just 1 giga internface to the core... if for some reason the other ports start doing a file transfer  whcih  flood that link between the SWCORE And the SWL2 then your througput is going down... anwyay seven if you put it on bridge mode... thats why i suggest putting LAGG everywhere i can.

Plus the downgraade i already tested it and the results were the same.

At the end on the client even if the throughput was around  12-15 which is great, he still saw the windows thing doing difference speed on the client  which he can see and he didnt liked it.... at the end he just got another AP inside his office.... now he does not see it and now he is happy...

I just keep the discussion open becasuse well its interesing...

And from this i learn that i should just ignore what the windows says...

Alternetworks Corp
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Ok, cool.

Theoretically, I wouldn't expect the tunnel throughput to be much different to bridged in a clean test with 1 client.

There is definately something strange/busy going on within the wired network, as you said moving the AP to the core had an improvement on tunnel performance.

Don't know what to suggest without looking at configs on switches and utilisation of them.

Best of luck!

Highlighted

Ill have to take a look to the config of the switch more in deep... it just that, that switch got a lot of things configured... 

Alternetworks Corp