Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cluster issues in AOS8.4

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Cluster issues in AOS8.4

Posted Jul 26, 2019 08:39 AM

i am seeing "unspecified failure" on my laptop when we built a cluster in AOS8.4

once we built the cluster and my client moved i would get deauthed from the first controller and would not reauth. We were told to use VRRP addresses for the 2 controller cluster. do the VRRP addresses do anything on the radius server? We don't see the VRRP address in the syslog and only see the deauth coming from the controller IP address. Should the VRRP cluster addresses be added to the radius server list? 

thank you 

• 2.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2019 08:47 AM

Is your cluster layer 2 connected?

what is the output of "show lc-cluster vlan-probe status"

In a cluster, the access point should not send deauths to clients.

VRRP addresses for the controller cluster is ONLY if you are using COA (most people do not), OR it gives the administrator a single ip address to point APs that boot up during discovery.

Deauths are layer 2 and should not come from an ip address.

• 3.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

Posted Jul 26, 2019 09:15 AM
      |   view attached

the cluster is layer 2. we took down the cluster to fix the issue with the deauth of the test laptop and not reauthenticating and as soon as the cluster was removed test laptops reconnected. this happened on 2 test laptops. we use a VRRP between the controllers for AP connection during boot and use one VRRP per controller in the cluster. attached is the lc-cluster that was requested. 

thank you 

• 4.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2019 09:36 AM

What is the output of "show lc-cluster exclude-vlan"

• 5.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

Posted Jul 26, 2019 09:41 AM
      |   view attached

vlans 9x is guest 

vlans 10xx is corporate 

• 6.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2019 09:45 AM

Why do you have those VLANs excluded?  

It is quite possible the issue you have is that all of the controllers in your cluster are not trunked for all the VLANs you need.  VLAN probing would reveal that.  VLAN exclusion sidesteps the probes for those VLANs, but does not alert you when your VLANs are not all trunked between switches and controllers.  You should remove the exclusions for the VLANs that you are having problems with.

• 7.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

Posted Jul 26, 2019 09:56 AM
      |   view attached

the setup now has:

VLAN 1166 is a management VLAN on a access port 0/0/0

the other VLANs are trunked on a 10gig port 0/0/2

description "GE0/0/0"
    trusted
    trusted vlan 1-4094
    no poe
    switchport access vlan 1166
    no spanning-tree

interface gigabitethernet 0/0/2
    description "Trunk VLAN"
    trusted
    trusted vlan 1002-1005,1007-1013
    no poe
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1002-1005,1007-1013
    no spanning-tree

When we remove the trunked corp vlans the Cluster switches to a L3 connection. 

attached is a screen shot after REMOVING vlan 1013 from the excluded list 

thank you 

• 8.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

Posted Jul 26, 2019 10:07 AM

just a thought as i think about this issue. 

i assume that the corporate VLANs on the controllers would require IP addresses to connect L2. as of now the only IP'd VLAN is management.

so, would we need to address all VLANs that would perform 802.1x authentication and make sure they are removed from the cluster excluded vlan list?

thank you  

• 9.  RE: Cluster issues in AOS8.4

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2019 10:08 AM

That is because there is no connectivity between the controllers layer 2 on that VLAN.  That must be resolved.  Give each controller an ip address on that VLAN and see if they can ping each other, and the gateway on that vlan.  Make sure that vlan is allowed on the swich side of the trunk, as well.