Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Mar 13, 2014 03:14 AM

Hi All,

I did a search but could not find too much information on this topic. We have a branch office that has installed an Alcatel OmniAccess network. They are telling me that it is rebranded Aruba equipment. Basically it is Aruba with different name.

http://enterprise.alcatel-lucent.com/?product=OmniAccessWirelessAccessPoints&page=documents

I'm not sure whether this is really the case and whether the OmniAccess AP can play well together with Aruba Controllers or whether it requires the Alcatel rebranded Aruba Controller.

Has any one ever come across this or have deployed such scenario's? I would be interesting to hear experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Mar 13, 2014 03:47 AM

It is indeed rebranded Aruba equipment, so yes it's the same.

Regarding your other question, I've used Dell APs (which is again rebranded) with Aruba controllers no problem. Give it a go, I think you'll be fine.

The point regarding support is valid, but it doesn't sound like you're worried about that?

• 3.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Mar 13, 2014 03:53 AM

Ok thanks guys for the quick responses here. Just had a chat with Alcatel and they tell me it is 100% compatible.

The official support is of course an interesting topic. While if the product is the same as Aruba it should of course be no issues but if there are issues than it might be difficult to get support on the products.

• 4.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:36 AM

I had done it in the past using Aruba AP and Alcatel controller and vice versa but since it is not supported, you are on your own. We took a risk as user will be upgrading all to Aruba but if customer is not willing to do that then we will not do it.

• 5.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:50 AM

Normal Guy is correct.  Do not do this because when it comes time for support it is a big issue.  In addition, there are things that are different in the Alcatel vs. Aruba versions of code (not just the branding) and you do not want to have to deal with those issues down the road.

• 6.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Mar 13, 2014 06:14 AM

On the note of Alcatel OS, they recompile the OS and the ALU engineers once told me that they added stuffs to work better with the rest of their platform. If backside not itchy dun try.

• 7.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2014 03:47 AM
    You may be able to get it to work but it is not officially supported.

• 8.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Aug 12, 2016 01:58 AM

Hi Team,

Can anybody tell me about the given below Issue..

We do have HP Aruba Controller 7010 and HP Aruba Access Point in my Existing Setup so I want to add now Dell Aruba Access Point with Same Contoller with in this scenirio. these devices purcheged by Dell only.

If we can push the policy in HP Aruba Controller that can be apply in Dell Product or not.

• 9.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

Posted Aug 12, 2016 02:00 AM
      |   view attached

@phevi wrote:

Hi All,

I did a search but could not find too much information on this topic. We have a branch office that has installed an Alcatel OmniAccess network. They are telling me that it is rebranded Aruba equipment. Basically it is Aruba with different name.

http://enterprise.alcatel-lucent.com/?product=OmniAccessWirelessAccessPoints&page=documents

I'm not sure whether this is really the case and whether the OmniAccess AP can play well together with Aruba Controllers or whether it requires the Alcatel rebranded Aruba Controller.

Has any one ever come across this or have deployed such scenario's? I would be interesting to hear experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

@phevi wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Attachment(s)

txt
    Aruba Networks.txt   370 B 1 version

• 10.  RE: Compatibility Aruba Controllers with OnmiAccess AP (Alcatel rebrand of Aruba OEM)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2016 06:51 AM

They function the same, but they do not run the same firmware.  Mixing Aruba and Alcatel Wifi kit is not supported by TAC, however.  There is a way to get it to work, but if you have any problems, you cannot get official help.  It is also not possible to license Aruba Controllers with Alcatel Licenses and Vice Versa.  It really should not be attempted.