Wireless Access

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Complaints after upgrade from 6.4.4.9 to 6.5.0.3

@jwhitaker@transy.edu wrote:

cjoseph made an offline suggestion to remove 80MHz support from the ARM profiles that we had in place, as this is not desirable in high density deployments.  After making this change, we've had some reports that wireless has improved, and perhaps more concrete, we've seen the dashboard clear up a bit more than usual for APs with interference and channel busy.  We had already tuned a number of settings such as power (don't just turn it up, follow the min/max suggestions!) and other items, but this change did appear to make a difference for a number of APs that we sometimes see in the "orange" on that dashboard.  Thanks for that suggestion!  We are continuing to monitor for now.

To be clear, unchecking 80mhz channels will probably not help 2.4ghz performance, but it will make things more pleasant for 5ghz clients.  You might have fewer people complaining and in doing so, you might have more time to focus on fewer issues.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Guru Elite

@JasonTango wrote:

We upgraded from 6.4 to 6.5.0.3 as well.  We started getting complaints from our users in dorms as well stating that their signal dropped dramatically.  I noticed that the complaints were coming from the 2.4ghz users mainly.  Some users would connect and then disconnect.  Some users could see the SSID one minute and then the SSID would disappear.  Some things that I did that seemed to have fixed the problem was 1.  Increase the Arm power levels and 2.  I added a value in the "Local Probe Request Threshold" of the SSID profile.  The default is "0" and I added a value that ranged from "6-10".  This seemed to be the change that helped the most. 

Settings a local probe request threshold *could* help some in a limited fashion.  You will run into trouble with clients that discover an AP through beacons as well as probe responses, because they will still be able to find an AP through beacons and still try to reach them.  The real way to solve the problem in a meaningful fashion of course is to turn the power down, and after that consider removing the lower rates on SSIDs.  Before doing either, you should take a snapshot of the Dashboard> Perform APs> Channel Utilization on the 2.4ghz band to see the before and after.

The key is reduced channel utilization in all situations.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Contributor I

OK... here goes the "me too" bandwagon.

We recently upgraded from Aruba OS 6.4.3.7 to Aruba OS 6.5.0.3 and are seeing some issues. And just to point out... prior to this upgrade we were receiving VERY few complaints at all. We were running very well for a long while on our previous version.

Since upgrading, the complaints have started come in. Mostly complaints of not being able to connect to an SSID or it dropping. This morning we (IT) were able to experience it first hand. The results were rather odd.

We got a complaint from a classroom that they could not connect to our 1X SSID. We went over and sat around a table outside of that classroom and had VERY strange results.

- A Mac running OS X: would not connect at all. Was working in other areas just fine on that same 1X network..Turning off and on the wireless did not help.

- A PC running Windows 10: Connected right away and never dropped off at all, ever(!).

- A PC running Windows 7: was connecting then dropping and then connecting again. Over and over.

- 3 Android phones: acted similar to the Win 7 PC. Would connect the drop then connect again. Over and over again.

We are going to open a TAC case on this but found it all very odd. We are also just starting to troubleshoot this so have not real answers to add to any of this. Our only thoughts are that it worked before the upgrade much better. 
Highlighted
Contributor II

Interesting.  Please do update us on your TAC case!  After making the 80Mhz adjustments mentioned earlier, we've heard "some better" so we are still doing some testing before engaging TAC.  

Jason Whitaker
Highlighted
New Contributor

I don't normally respond in forums. I decided to because it might help. We just installed 12 Aruba-335's and had to use 6.5.0.3. This is just a business office. We don't bond. Even though I did set all SSID's HT to not enable usage of 80MHz. I found in the beginning of the deployment. The AP's where bonded. I did put in a TAC. We found that we had to turn to say none under 40MHz, none under 80MHz, and none under 120Mhz. Also in reg domain only check the channels to be 20MHz. uncheck the 40MHz, 80MHz and the 120MHz bonded channels.This cleared up the weird roaming issues, the high noise, and the high channel utilization. Maybe it helps.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Everybody who thinks they are having problems with the upgrade from 6.4.4.9 to 6.5.0.3 should consider upgrading to 6.5.0.4:

release-notes.png

Please carefully read the release notes and load in your lab to test before you do.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Contributor I

We currently have a TAC case open and Aruba is looking at several AP Tech-support log dumps as well as client debug logs.

So far we have tried several things on our end but have not seen any improvements. We disabled 80 MHz channels as well as making some changes to the default Client Match settings (based on our SE's suggestions). Unfortunately the issues continue.....

I just read through the release notes for 6.5.0.4 in hopes something would be a close match but don't see anything that really matches our issues.

Now we wait for TAC to go through the logs and see if they come up with anything.

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Kevin,

Are you guys seeing these issues on a particular Access Point type / Client type?
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Kevin,

Are you guys seeing these issues on a particular Access Point type / Client type?
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Highlighted
Contributor I

No particular AP type. We are seeing them with AP-115's as well as AP-135's and AP-315's.

So far most noticeable on Mac's and Android devices but we do have complaints from some Windows 7 computers as well. Worth noting: My Windows 10 laptop is yet to show any of the symptoms at all.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: