Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Config reverted after upgrade...

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Config reverted after upgrade...

Posted Jul 01, 2016 10:55 AM

I just upgraded from 6.4.3.7 to 6.4.3.9 and after everything was back up and running, it looks like I lost part of my config.  During the upgrade, I had "yes" selected to save the configuration before the reboot.  Does this option mean it saves my running to startup?  Or does it copy my running config somewhere else?

If the second one, is there a procedure to restore it?  The cron to backup this controller was apparently not working, so I don't have the most current backup handy.

This is on a 7005 controller.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Config reverted after upgrade...
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 11:00 AM

It should copy the running to startup.

If you type "dir" on the commandline, you might see backed up configurations...

• 3.  RE: Config reverted after upgrade...

Posted Jul 01, 2016 11:08 AM

I do see them in there.  Is there a safe way to attempt a restore?  Is there any way to validate what that config looks like ahead of time, or to do a diff, etc?  Or can I load it into the running config and if it's no good, copy start to run?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Config reverted after upgrade...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 11:19 AM

You can copy the file from flash to your computer using TFTP and take a look.  You can also change the boot options to boot from the file you desire.

• 5.  RE: Config reverted after upgrade...

Posted Jul 01, 2016 12:03 PM

Alright, I SCP'd the flash to my backup server, unzipped it, and grep'd all of the files for 'essid' to see if the missing SSID was in any of them.  It's not there - even in the "default.cfg_writemem_..." file created just before the upgrade reboot.  So then I looked at the reboot logs and apparently there was a power outage a few hours before the upgrade that caused an unplanned power cycle.

I always forget to "save configuration" since a manual apply/save is already required to apply config to memory.  I'll add a write mem to the start of my nightly backup script to avoid this in the future.

Thanks for your help!