Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 10:01 AM

Hi folks,

desparately looking for a configuration-guide/whitepaper for configuring a VAP for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-handsets with standard QoS (PBX is a Nortel CS 1000 running V4.5 and one on V5.5).

Already tried http://goo.gl/IwRqO to no avail. SVP-variant from this guide works perfectly in unison with Nortel SVP-Server, though, but adding a SVP-Server is not an option.

Worst thing about it: competition from big C managed to get this up and runningin in no time with their APs - but they had a whitepaper on how to configure them ;).

Any ideas and/or suggestions highly welcome!

Thx in advance and best wishes,

Mike

• 2.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 10:15 AM

Please search for Spectralink in the guide here:  www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Roaming.pdf

• 3.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 10:17 AM

Well,

From what I have read Nortel systems (now Avaya) use a proprietary protocol to do the handshake, then switch over to a RTP stream. So, what you are going to need to do is figure out what ports Nortel uses for the RTP stream and create a new policy and do "Classify Media" to match those ports. As long as you are running 6.x or above, it should see the RTP stream.

I haven't tried it yet, because they wont buy me a wifi Nortel/Avaya phone to test out. Let me know if you get it working!

• 4.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 11:31 AM

@cjoseph: thanks a million for pointing me to that solution guide. I'll give it a try ASAP.
    @zjennings: thanks for your valuable hints as well. The controller already is on AOS 6.1.2.x, btw.

I'll keep you posted on how this worked out.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Mike

• 5.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 02:55 AM

These phones, though use a proprietary signaling protocol, the QoS mechanism they use is either SVP or WMM based.

So we they don't use SVP, they are using WMM for prioritization which should help prioritize the voice traffic with VO.

• 6.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 06:33 AM

@cjoseph: went through the design-guide mentioned and found the config-template on pages 61-62.  Problem is: the setup in the DG is using SVP and not standard QoS (WMM). As mentioned in my original post SVP is not an option for the customer, they want to use standard QoS (WMM). The standard QoS-approach in Polycom's whitepaper mentioned in my initial post isn't working though - at least not an Aruba. On big C's APs it does. :-/

BTW this is how it's done on big C's APs if this is of interest to anybody else:

---

sh run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2066 bytes
    !
    version 12.4
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname ap
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$va9F$P2IxrYASpE3b81jr/g4HW1
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    !
    !
    dot11 ssid vidic
       authentication open
       guest-mode
    !
    dot11 arp-cache
    power inline negotiation prestandard source
    !
    !
    username Cisco password 7 02250D480809
    !
    !
    class-map match-all _class_WMM1
     match ip dscp cs5
    class-map match-all _class_WMM0
     match ip dscp ef
    !
    !
    policy-map WMM
     class _class_WMM0
      set cos 6
     class _class_WMM1
      set cos 4
    !
    bridge irb
    !
    !
    interface Dot11Radio0
     no ip address
     no ip route-cache
     !
     ssid vidic
     !
     power local 2
     power client 2
     channel 2462
     station-role root
     dot11 qos class video local
        transmit-op 3008
     !
     dot11 qos class voice local
        transmit-op 1504
     !
     dot11 qos class video cell
        transmit-op 3008
     !
     dot11 qos class voice cell
        transmit-op 1504
     !
     bridge-group 1
     bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
     bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
     no bridge-group 1 source-learning
     no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
     bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
     service-policy input WMM
     service-policy output WMM
    !
    interface Dot11Radio1
     no ip address
     no ip route-cache
     shutdown
     !
     ssid vidic
     !
     no dfs band block
     power local 2
     power client 2
     channel dfs
     station-role root
     bridge-group 1
     bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
     bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
     no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
     service-policy input WMM
     service-policy output WMM
    !
    interface FastEthernet0
     no ip address
     no ip route-cache
     duplex auto
     speed auto
     bridge-group 1
     service-policy input WMM
    !
    interface BVI1
     ip address 10.100.69.216 255.255.0.0
     no ip route-cache
    !
    ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag
    bridge 1 route ip
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
     login local
    !
    end

ap#

---

This seems to be pretty straight forward.

Besides the usual chit-chat they
    * assign channel 11 in the 2.4GHz band and use DFS for channel assignment in the 5GHz band

* match ingres and outgres traffic to DSCP cs5 and ef and set the corresponding COS-flags to 4 and 6

* configure the CAC transmit opportunites for wired and wireless for voice to 1504 and for video to 3008 for the corresponding QOS-classes

So far so good.

Now there's only one question left: how can I accomplish something this simple, yet sophisticated on an Aruba infrastructure without messing up the wrong of those gazillion options in the profiles and GUI-menus... ;)

Any hints, suggestions and/or help on this would, of course, be highly appreciated. :)

I'll keep you posted on any further progress I may make.

Thanks for reading and kind regards,

Mike

• 7.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2011 06:35 AM

When you say "not working" what do you mean?  Does the phone even connect to the WLAN?  

Okay from the Cisco it seems that you are using open for encryption.  You should be able to setup an Open SSID on Aruba and it should at least get an ip address.  Where are you stuck?

• 8.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 07:31 AM

Phone associates to the VAP/SSID (open, WEP, WPA-PSK or even WPA2-PSK), immediately get's an IP-address via DHCP and starts to talk to the Nortel PBX. During the initiation-phase of the VoIP-session (I see UDP going back and forth between the phone and the PBX) the phone just sits there for a while doing nothing, sometimes even displaying error messages pointing to connection errors, then after 5-15 minutes suddenly works for like 1 call and then suddenly  kind of resets the network connection, meaning it re-associates to the SSID, sends DHCP REQUESTs, and so on.

This only happens when using QoS (setup according to Polycom-whitepaper).

When using the SVP variant (after setting up the required SVP-server and attaching it to the network, of course) with all other properties of all other profiles (AAA, SSID, radio) left unchanged everything works like a charm.

We first thought that this might be a SW-issue on the handset or the PBX - until the Cisco-guys stepped on the scene with everything working perfectly fine. I was lucky to snatch that config off the AP, but that's what was on there.

• 9.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2011 07:42 AM

Maybe I'm making this too complicated, but.... when operating in SIP mode, that phone requires a DHCP option that points the phone to a tftp server that has the configuration for the phone's SIP extension, as well as firmware update files.  Does the customer already have that tftp server enabled, or is this a new installation?

• 10.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 08:17 AM

No, you are most definitely _not_ making this too complicated. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

These phones don't use SIP. After establishing the IP-connection to the PBX they seem to be using a proprietary protocol to establish the actual VoIP-Session. Using wireshark I see UDP going back and forth and then suddenly a DHCP REQUEST and then everything starts all over again.

When using the SVP variant the phones establish their IP-connections to both the PBX and the SVP server, establish their sessions and just work.

It seems that there's something wrong with the way the QoS is behaving when set up as illustrated in Polycom's whitepaper. That's why I think I should first set up a VAP having it's QoS behaving exactly like on the Cisco AP and then progress from there.

The only thing is that Cisco uses a different approach here. They're matching packets and attaching the corresponding QOS/COS/CAC settings in one go, while on Aruba these specific QoS functionalities seem to be split up into user role/policy (PEFNG) for the packet matching part and a multitude of options in the AP-group, VAP, SSID-profile, radio-profile, etc. for the QOS/COS/CAC part.
    But I suspect that's exactly where I might be making this too complicated. :)

• 11.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2011 08:34 AM

The protocol is called Unistim:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIStim

I have spent hours and hours researching this, in order to try to get some sort of visibility on my Aruba controller when a Nortel phone is plugged into a RAP. I gave up, because at the time Aruba didn't have an ALG for RTP. I haven't tried to do it since RTP support was implimented (AOS 6.something).

As far as the DHCP option, here is what we are using for our CS1000: Option 128: Nortel-i2004-A,10.a.a.a:4100,10.b.b.b:4100

Where 10.a.a.a is the first CS1000, and 10.b.b.b is the IP of the second CS1000. This option is what tells the VoIP phone where to go.

Hope this helps.

• 12.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 09:00 AM

@zjennings: thanks for solving yet another mistery and sharing your tipps on the DHCP-settings. May I ask if you are using QoS or SVP?

• 13.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2011 09:09 AM

Nope. No QoS or SVP at all. Just checked my phone config, QoS Voice tagging is disabled. :smileyhappy:

But that's not my department.

• 14.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 09:32 AM

That answer just solved yet another mistery. I was told that either QoS or SVP was mandatory - giving me a very hard time trying to understand why on earth I would need QoS on a VAP being used exclusively by those handsets.
    I hope this does not sound too impertinent, but may I ask if you use any other settings specific to those handsets/this application at all?

The reason I'm asking is because I initially set up a non-descript 'standard' VAP for this application and the handsets behaved just like in the QoS-scenario described before, sitting there like lame ducks, being able to maybe receive or place a call after a while and then resetting their network connection. That's when I started to do some deeper research, came up with that whitepaper from Polycom and ... well, you already know the rest. ;)

• 15.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 11:20 AM

A attachment with tech support and AP tech support would help validate your config.

If QoS, is Mandatory with Wifi option instead of SVP, we need to have some settings on the VAP on the controller.

• 16.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 11:29 AM

Check if the EDCA profile for AP and STA under VAP is configured for ACM bit to 1 for VO and VI.

Check if the wmm inactivity interval is set to 30000msec in the Advanced ssid profile..

• 17.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Dec 21, 2011 02:50 AM

@skale: VAP is configured according to http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/voice/VIEW_Aruba_Mobility.pdf, so yes ACM settings for voice and video in both EDCA profiles have been set to 1. P. 27 of this guide says WMM inactivity interval should be set to 300.000msec whereas you stated it should be 30.000msec. Does this make a difference?

• 18.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Jan 02, 2012 05:14 PM

Hi,

we are installing an AVAYA PBX with wi-fi phones model 3641, I configured a Vlan and allow access by MAC address authentication, the phones have IP configured manually. The phones connect but when I move to another AP area, the phone disconnects and lose the call. Seems like a roaming problem.

Does anyone have an example configuration for Aruba Controller or have experienced this behaviour ?

Help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alfredp

• 19.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2012 07:16 PM

Can you do a ping to see how many drops during the ROAM?  Did you use the link in the post above you to configure the Aruba WLAN?

• 20.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 19, 2012 01:10 PM

Just to wrap things up: problem solved.

Solution: when using Avaya/Nortel/Polycom-Spectralink VoFi-Handsets via Unistim with an Avaya/Nortel PBX make sure the RUDP retries-parameter on the PBX is set sufficiently high. And that the guys supporting the PBX are not the ones trying to sell any competitor's WLAN solution to that very customer at the same time. :smileywink:

I'd also like to explicitely thank Shawn Adams of Aruba Networks for lending a helping hand on this!

• 21.  RE: Configuration-Guide for Avaya 3641/3645 VoWiFi-Handsets with standard QoS on Aruba?

Posted Jun 21, 2014 03:55 PM

I have read all the threads but now in the new OS 6.4.1 that I will use I need to understand shoud I Create SVC-SVP ip access list and AVPP access list as I saw this in VRD for phones :

user-role voice
    session-acl sip-acl
    session-acl noe-acl
    session-acl svp-acl
    session-acl vocera-acl
    session-acl skinny-acl
    session-acl h323-acl
    session-acl dhcp-acl
    session-acl tftp-acl
    session-acl dns-acl
    session-acl icmp-acl

now AVPP is not listed and also from 3645 IP phone it support WMM so should I enable it or disabel it?