Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2019 04:24 AM

Hi Guys,

When I do some configuration on the Master controller it does not reflect on the backup controller? such as adding new SSID and creating new VLANs. thanks

I've attached some configurations of the 2 controllers by WebUI. 

thanks.Master Controller - Redundancy.PNGBackup Controller - Redundancy.PNG

• 2.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2019 04:55 AM

Layer 2 and 3 operations like creating VLANs and assigning ip addresses must be done on the local controller.  Adding new SSIDs is part of the global configuration and must be created on the master controller; it should be synchronized to the local controller.

• 3.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2019 05:38 AM

Hi cjoseph thank you for your response 

do I have to manually assign the SSID or VAP to each controller? 

base on my configuration above with the 2 controller are they in state of active and standby or master and backup master? or do I have to add new "HA Group configurations"?

thank you.

• 4.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2019 07:19 AM

Here is the way it works:

A Virtual AP is essentially a wireless network definition that is broadcast.  Virtual APs are assigned to ap-groups.  When an access point comes up and is in an ap-group, it will broadcast all of the Virtual APs in that ap-group.  Virtual APs and ap-groups are part of the global configuration and are replicated to all controllers.  The main thing that has to be configured and in place on the local controller is the VLAN that is referenced in the Virtual APs.

I hope that makes sense.

• 5.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

Posted Oct 21, 2019 10:05 PM

Hi cjoseph thank you for your response.

Please forgive me for my ignorance I'm still new and  learning Aruba Controller.

Could you help verify why are they in both Master in the TYPE category in "All WLAN Controllers"? 

but when I check in the configuration redundancy > virtual router table > Operational State category one is Master and other is Backup are they working as a active and standby? but checking the HA Group configuration there is no group. I've attached some images of the config.

thank you.

MASTERMASTERBACKUPBACKUPHA ConfigHA Config

• 6.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2019 10:13 PM

The HA group configuration is not related to the Master/Standby (master/backup) configuration; it is for configuring AP redundancy between locals or a master/local combination.  You cannot and should not configure two masters with HA groups, because it (EDIT: redundancy between two masters) is only supported with VRRP redundancy.

If you type "show switches" on the master and you see another controller as "standby", you have things configured properly.

• 7.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

Posted Oct 23, 2019 01:30 AM

Hi cjoseph,

When I do run the "show switches" on both switches the Master and Backup it only shows 1 controller and don't see any on standby mode they are in the same network and same virtual IP.   see image below: thanks

Master's IP x.x.10.10

Backup's IP x.x.10.11

Virtual IP x.x.10.20

main.JPGbackup.JPG

• 8.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 04:52 AM

Okay.  It seems that both controllers are standalone and have their own configurations.  The only thing you have configured is a Virtual ip between the two controllers.  For the configuration to be synchronized, you would need to configure master redundancy on top of that.  It is important that you first configure master redundancy on the controller that has the configuration that you want to be synchronized everywhere, because it will overwrite the global configuration of the other controller:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/Redundancy_Parameters.htm#Configur3

• 9.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

Posted Oct 23, 2019 10:01 PM

Hi cjoseph,

Will this cause downtime or reboot if I run this command on both controllers?

Will this make the Master controller as active and the Backup controller as standby If the Master dies the AP will terminate to the standby controller?

Thank you cjoseph :D

• 10.  RE: Configuration not reflecting on 2nd Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 10:04 PM

If all access points are terminating on the controller that is the master of the VRRP, there will be no outage when you setup master redundancy.  The second controller, that is the backup of the VRRP will have its entire global configuration (not ip addresses or interface parameters) overwritten by the global configuration of the controller that isthe master of the VRRP.