Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration optimization

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Configuration optimization

Posted Jun 17, 2016 06:00 PM

Hello,

We have replaced 3 3600 controllers with 2 7210’s and old ap-65’s with ap-205’s. For the most part I just copied the relevant parts of the config to the new controllers. In another post I worked through sticky client issues that were related to outdated configuration settings, and things are much better now. I have also enabled HT and VHT on 20 MHz only for a and HT for g. Today I started digging around in the config again, specifically with a and g basic and transmit rates and doing some forum searches, and I think I need to make some improvements here too. I found a post that gave this link https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/75 so I plugged in the information for one of the SSID’s and the recommendations are quite a bit different then what we have in our config, and I am hoping to get some input from the experts here if I should make these changes, and what I shouldn’t. We have a sparse deployment of AP’s (ap-105 and ap-205, never mixed in the same building) and we have 5 locations with a total of 155 AP’s. Buildings are medical clinics.

I only included parts of the recommended config that are different then what we are running.

Some things I noticed:

Min/max transmit are the same. Not what I have read anywhere.

We use the same arm profile for a and g. I think I should use a different profile for g with lesser transmit power.

The other arm setting are a lot different than ours. Should I use the recommended?

Should I remove 6 and 9 transmit rates? Seems like I should to improve performance.

Recommended config                                                    Our current settings
    rf arm-profile "arm-2.4ghz-office-hybrid-sparse-soft" 
    min-tx-power 12                                                             18
    max-tx-power 12                                                            12
    ideal-coverage-index 2                                                   10
    acceptable-coverage-index 2                                         4
    free-channel-index 40                                                     25
    backoff-time 1800                                                           240
    error-rate-threshold 90                                                    50
    error-rate-wait-time 600                                                  30
    cm-report-interval 30                                                      I don't see any of these cm (Client Match?) lines in our config
    cm-unst-ageout                                                               "
    cm-unst-ageout-intvl days 2 hours 0                              "
    cm-stale-age 120                                                            "
    cm-band-g-max-signal 10                                               "
    cm-band-a-min-signal 70                                                "
    cm-sticky-check-interval 3                                              "
    cm-sticky-snr 18                                                              "
    cm-sticky-snr-delta 10                                                      "
    cm-sticky-min-signal 65                                                   "
    cm-steer-timeout 3                                                           "
    cm-steer-backoff 300                                                       "
    cm-max-steer-fails 2                                                          "
    cm-lb-client-thresh 30                                                       "
    cm-lb-signal-delta 5                                                          "
    cm-lb-snr-thresh 25                                                          "
    cm-lb-thresh 20                                                                 "
    cm-dot11v                                                                         "

rf arm-profile "arm-5ghz-office-hybrid-sparse-soft" 
    min-tx-power 18                                                               18
    max-tx-power 18                                                              12
    ideal-coverage-index 6                                                     10
    acceptable-coverage-index 4                                            4
    free-channel-index 40                                                       25
    backoff-time 1800                                                             240
    error-rate-threshold 90                                                      50
    error-rate-wait-time 600                                                    30
    ap regulatory-domain-profile "ase-us-default"  
    country-code US  
    valid-11g-channel 1  
    valid-11g-channel 6  
    valid-11g-channel 11  
    valid-11a-channel 36  
    valid-11a-channel 40  
    valid-11a-channel 44  
    valid-11a-channel 48  
    valid-11a-channel 149  
    valid-11a-channel 153  
    valid-11a-channel 157  
    valid-11a-channel 161  
    valid-11a-channel 165   
                                                                                           valid-11g-40mhz-channel-pair 1-5
                                                                                           valid-11g-40mhz-channel-pair 7-11
    valid-11a-40mhz-channel-pair 36-40  
    valid-11a-40mhz-channel-pair 44-48  
    valid-11a-40mhz-channel-pair 149-153  
    valid-11a-40mhz-channel-pair 157-161  
    valid-11a-80mhz-channel-group 36-48  
    valid-11a-80mhz-channel-group 149-161  

wlan ssid-profile "SSID-Profile-Testing-optimized"  
    a-basic-rates 12                                                             6 12 24
    a-tx-rates 12 18 24 36 48 54                                          6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54
    g-basic-rates 12                                                             6 9
    g-tx-rates 12 18 24 36 48 54                                          6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54
    g-beacon-rate 12                                                           default
    a-beacon-rate 12                                                           default

!

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Configuration optimization

Posted Jun 21, 2016 02:44 PM

Perhaps I am asking too many quesiton here, so I'll just ask about these arm settings. Should I try these settings or just keep them as is?

Recommended config                                                  Our current settings
    rf arm-profile "arm-2.4ghz-office-hybrid-sparse-soft" 
    min-tx-power 12                                                ​             18
    max-tx-power 12                                                ​            12
    ideal-coverage-index 2                                                 ​  10
    acceptable-coverage-index 2                                         4
    free-channel-index 40                                                ​     25
    backoff-time 1800                                              ​             240
    error-rate-threshold 90                                                ​    50
    error-rate-wait-time 600                                               ​   30

• 3.  RE: Configuration optimization
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2016 07:03 AM

Hello.

The solution asks the user to select a deployment model;

These models are based on studies done in;

Typical EDUs and Comercial office space, these type of deployments 99% of the time will support client data devices found commercially available for endusers.

*The solution was not developed for use with typical "medical" facility deployments, due to special client devices requiring specific configuration parameters based on the vendors best practices. i.e. data/voice[phones,vocera,ivac pumps,tags etc. this is why there is not a model designating "patient rooms", exam rooms etc.

*The solution also excluded warehouse facilities as well, since they have there own special client needs.

with that said.

If you have a-typical office space  or open areas of coverage in your facility for typical enduser devices and a deployement model applies then you can apply the recommended config developed.

thanks

ronz

• 4.  RE: Configuration optimization

Posted Jun 22, 2016 01:32 PM

Thank you ronz