Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configured Session Limit Reached

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 06:38 AM

Good Morning,

I woke up to my controller this morning running 6.2.1.0 with the following error.

Apr 3 05:50:27 authmgr[1666]: <522043> <WARN> |authmgr| Configured Session limit reached for client IP=10.110.0.0
    Apr 3 05:50:29 authmgr[1666]: <522043> <WARN> |authmgr| Configured Session limit reached for client IP=10.110.0.0 

It showed up over and over and over again and rendered the controller useless.  I noticed first when I couldn't authenticate to the VPN running on it.

Yesterday I changed the ip cp-redirect address to be the address of the VLAN that I'd like my guest on.  Could that have anything to do with it?  I read about where you can set the maximum sessions but could not find anywhere in the config to change that setting.  

Right now I've reloaded the controller to try to get it back.

• 2.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 07:01 AM
    There's a setting under the user-role where you can configure the maximum amount of TCP sessions.

• 3.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 07:53 AM

hmm...I can't seem to find this.  Where exactly is it?

• 4.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:00 AM

Also would it help for me to use the following command?  to  see the total number of sessions?

show datapath session counters

+----+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
    |SUM/| | | |
    |CPU | Addr | Description Value |
    | | | |
    | G | [00] | Current Entries 8799 |
    | G | [01] | High Water Mark 11848 |
    | G | [02] | Maximum Entries 524288 |
    | G | [03] | Total Entries 658517 |
    | G | [05] | Duplicate Entries 2 |
    | G | [07] | Current Max link length 3 |
    | G | [08] | Max link length 5 |
    | G | [09] | Stale Entries 15671 |
    | G | [10] | Aged Entries 634039 |

Is the Maximum Entries the limit we hit?

• 5.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:10 AM

1.  Find the user role that your user end up in.

2.  Go to configuration> Security >  Access Control

3.  Find that role and Edit.

4.  Locate the Max Sessions parameter and make sure it is 65535 and click on apply.

If this is your problem, very, very, very few people manipulate that parameter and it should not be touched in practice.

• 6.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:12 AM

Okay so I found the Max Sessions under the users roles.  I see the default is 65535.  What would be a good value to top that out at for a guest network?  Or an authenticated user network.  It seems high to leave it at the default.  Any suggestions?

• 7.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:16 AM

Leave it at what it currently is.

What is the output of "show aaa timers"?

• 8.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:22 AM

Here is the output of show aaa timers.

User idle timeout = 300 seconds
    Auth Server dead time = 10 minutes
    Logon user lifetime = 5 minutes
    User Interim stats frequency = 600 seconds

• 9.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:25 AM

We top out at most 500 clients any given day.  

This error began at 5:50 AM today and repeated hundreds of times.  There were probably no more than 80 connected devices this morning.  

None of which should have generated that much traffic.  No one had even come in to school yet.  We are a K-12 setting.

• 10.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:31 AM

I think you should open a support case, because the solution is in the details that we cannot ask for in a public forum.  It does not seem obvious with limited information, but with your logs.tar support should be able to narrow it down much more quickly.

The only think I can think of is if you might have made one of your wired interfaces untrusted and now all of your wired clients are showing up in the controller.   That is my last guess.

• 11.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 03, 2013 08:46 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.  I checked and each of my ports are marked as trusted including the Port-Channel.

My support has recently expired and am in the process of getting the funds to get it renewed.  I've never purchased the support and ahve also flew by the seat of my pants.

Chad

• 12.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2013 09:38 AM

But are there any wired users in the user table?  You could also have a VLAN marked as untrusted.

• 13.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 14, 2013 08:02 PM

I wanted to follow up on this issue.  It is still a mystery.   I've opened a case with TAC a week ago and they spent 3 hours today while the controller was down, attempting to figure out what was going on.

We consoled in to an AP and watched it grab an IP from DHCP but then could not connect to the controller to download the config via TFTP.

We also could not ping the gateway from the Controller or any of the APs from the controller but could ping the controller from the gateway and could ping APs from the gateway.

After 3 hours of looking for what was going on. I had to give it up and just reload the controller to get things running again.  Once we reloaded the controller could ping the gateway and APs again.  Until next time....

• 14.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2013 10:25 PM

Duplicate ip address, perhaps?

• 15.  RE: Configured Session Limit Reached

Posted Apr 15, 2013 08:19 AM

I thought about that...browsing the network to see what I can find.