Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Configuring LACP on aruba switch with Vmware esxi nic teaming

Hi Guys,

I want to activate link aggregation port on my aruba switch to have a port trunk from my switch to my server's lan ports.

My Esxi config is this:

(Port 1 to 4) i've enabled in Esxi NIC Teaming function with:

Load balancing: Route based on a IP Hash,

notify switches: Yes,

Failback: yes.

Aruba config:

port 3,4,5:

LACP Enabled: Active;

Trunk Group: Trk1;

see the attached image for other details...

When i'm going to enable on my aruba switch LACP in port 2 (that it is my last server's port in my nic teaming), my esxi web server stop to work, and i can't ping my esxi ip until i free one port from aruba LACP port trunk.

I would like to ask if anyone has experienced of nic teaming with esxi host, or if at least my aruba switch config was set up correctly?

Thank you very much for help,

Michele.

Super Contributor II

Re: Configuring LACP on aruba switch with Vmware esxi nic teaming

Your truking parner column shows NO meaning they are not trunking. The configuration needs to match the ESXi teaming configuration.  Try teaming with the non-LACP using these cli's “no trunk 3,4,5 lacp” then “trunk 3,4,5 trunk”

If it is still not working, can you post few more cli’s: show int trk1, show run int 3, show run int 4, show run int 5, show run | include trunk

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
MVP Expert

Correct: LACP is supported only on vSphere Distributed Switch (so, switch side, you need a LACP Trunk to be configured)...if you are using Route based on IP Hash then you're probably using vSphere Standard Switch...thus use a Non Protocol (non-LACP) Trunk switch side, as suggested.

MVP
MVP

Agree with parnassus. See also this link for reference. https://kb.vmware.com/articleview?docid=1004048
Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
MVP
MVP

Agree with parnassus. See also this link for reference. https://kb.vmware.com/articleview?docid=1004048
Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Super Contributor II

FYI:

in Aruba OS swtich, the command "trunk x-y trk1 LACP" is LACP dynamic, and "trunk x-y trk1 trunk" is LACP static.

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
MVP Expert

Hi Trinh, that's incorrect.

On ArubaOS-Switch the command:

trunk x-y trk1 trunk

will use ports x to y to create a non-protocol static trunk group with the group name trk1...so no LACP.

Super Contributor II

I don't know how ESXi host and its virtual switch portchanel configuration.  This observation is between Aruba switch and others.  

When trunk from Aruba switch to another switch, the "trunk x-y trk1 trunk" works with static portchannel, and "trunk x-y trk1 lacp" works with dynamic. 

So, if the other switch that configures with static portchannel and links to Aruba switch that was configured with LACP, the portchannel will not form as show in the picture.

~Trinh Nguyen~
Boys Town
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: