Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

This thread has been viewed 84 times
  • 1.  Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted Feb 13, 2017 03:51 PM

I'm playing with Aruba OS 8.X in the lab.

I've succesfully configured a Mobility Master, but I'm having issues creating a cluster of Mobility Controllers.

I'm trying to follow the example on the Aruba Solutions Exchange, but my controllers keep reporting that they are L3 connected.

I would also like to setup a VRRP between the controllers in the cluster.

Here is a dwg:

Cluster Config.png

Here are the commands I tried to use:

no paging
    #Group-level configuration
    cd /md/ns-lab/cluster-nh
    configure terminal
    lc-cluster group-profile cluster-nh
    write memory

cd /md/ns-lab/cluster-nh/00:1a:1e:00:da:90
    lc-cluster group-membership cluster-nh
    write memory

/md/ns-lab/cluster-nh/00:1a:1e:00:90:40
    lc-cluster group-membership cluster-nh
    write memory

#Group-level configure
    cd /md/ns-lab/cluster-nh
    lc-cluster group-profile cluster-nh
    controller 172.30.97.10
    controller 172.30.97.11
    redundancy
    write memory

However I get the following error:

(mm-nh-p) [md] #logon 172.30.97.10

Last login: Mon Feb 13 09:49:05 2017 from 128.255.204.94
    (ctrl-nh-1) [MDC] *#show lc-cluster group-membership

Cluster Enabled, Profile Name = "nh-cluster"
    Redundancy Mode On
    Active Client Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Standby Client Rebalance Threshold = 75%
    Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Cluster Info Table
    ------------------
    Type IPv4 Address    Priority Connection-Type STATUS
    ---- --------------- -------- --------------- ------
    self    172.30.97.10      150             N/A CONNECTED (Leader)
    peer    172.30.97.11      100    L3-Connected CONNECTED (Member, last HBT_RSP 39ms ago, RTD = 0.260 ms)
    (ctrl-nh-1) [MDC] *#

Also If I try to configure a VRRP IP I get

lc-cluster group-profile nh-cluster
    (mm-nh-p) [cluster-nh] (Classic Controller Cluster Profile "nh-cluster") #controller 172.30.97.10 priority 150 vrrp-ip 172.30.97.18 vrrp-vlan 376
    (mm-nh-p) [cluster-nh] (Classic Controller Cluster Profile "nh-cluster") #controller 172.30.97.11 priority 100 vrrp-ip 172.30.97.18 vrrp-vlan 376
    Error: vrrp-ip 172.30.97.18 matches with vrrp-ip for controller ip 172.30.97.10

This seems like this should work. Also, after I perform the configuration if I try to show the configuration profile I get:

(mm-nh-p) [cluster-nh] #show lc-cluster group-profile nh-cluster
    Classic Controller Cluster Profile "nh-cluster" undefined.

(mm-nh-p) [cluster-nh] #

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Neil

• 2.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted Mar 07, 2017 08:07 AM

stumbled upon this mee to... were you able to solve it? 

• 3.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2017 03:26 AM

I saw the same problem and was able to solve it. Reason was that there was a dummy vlan configured on both MCs but the vlan was not connected thru my network between both MCs. After I removed this vlan cluster was L2 connected. 

This is the role:

As a follow-up to the cluster members in a full mesh state, the cluster members connection type become known as L3-Connected.

Once all cluster peers are in L3-Connected state, a mechanism called VLAN Probing is launched on each cluster member.

The Vlan Probing scheme on each cluster member consists of sending a specially crafted L2 broadcast packet on each configured vlan on the controller.

This vlan probing scheme is bidirectional and is performed between every pair of cluster members

• 4.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted Mar 14, 2017 04:32 PM

There is an option to exclude VLANs in the ASE clustering solution:

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/143

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 1.28.05 PM.png

• 5.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 04:48 AM

If you want to use the VRRP IP address in a cluster which is a good idea if your controller fails and you still want the cluster to be reached by external radius servers (CoA packet by instance), you need two VRP IP addresses :

controller 172.30.97.11 priority 100 vrrp-ip 172.30.97.19 vrrp-vlan 376

172.30.87.18 is master on 172.30.97.10 and back-up on 172.30.97.11 and 172.30.87.19 is master on 172.30.97.11 and back-up on 172.30.97.10

• 6.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted May 02, 2017 05:06 AM

Can you specify how you would configure vrrp in a cluster of three nodes?

• 7.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2017 04:38 PM

This remains the same logic, configure 3 VRRP IP addresses, configure  each controller to be master for one of these VIP (CTRL1=VIP1, CTRL2=VIP2, CTRL3=VIP3) and for each VRRP group configure a standby. The configuration is made in the lc-cluster group profile not to confuse with vrrp config for VLAN IP interfaces. T Just to clarify, this is optional to provide a virtual IP address for radius servers (NAS-IP). AP however will use another mechanism to terminate active and standby GRE tunnels to 2 controllers within the cluster . There is no need to use a VRRP IP for LMS in 8.x, redundancy is implemented within the cluster.

• 8.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 07:27 AM

an older thread, probably based on 8.0, now of course 8.2 but still some questions.

@njohnsn did this setup with MMs and MDs all in same subnet work out fine for you? it seems like a nice design but i can't find much guidance on if this is a good approach or not?

@ohahn are you sure about not having a cluster VRRP IP for the APs to connect to? these recent ArubaOS 8 video by Aruba do suggest doing exactly that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbhRBD6VEzA

• 9.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?

Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:31 AM
      |   view attached

what is the correct answer for this?

please ignore the Answer which is selected in image

• 10.  RE: Configuring a Cluster of Mobility Controllers in a AOS 8.X Mobility Master Environment?