Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Connect to a VLAN via an Access point - No DHCP?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Connect to a VLAN via an Access point - No DHCP?

Posted May 03, 2019 01:44 AM

Hi all!

I'm migrating from ArubaOS 6 to 8, and I have to recreate the config becuase there's no upgrade path (if that's false, please let me know!)

I have a tunnel-configured SSID that I can authenticate to.

Wireshark on the laptop shows the correct traffic on the correct VLAN, so I  know that I'm "linked up".

However, DHCP packets aren't seen, and ARP packets aren't seen.... I only see a subset of what I'm expecting.

I think this is a firewall thing in the controller maybe? So I charge off to change the role and it's already setup pretty well.  The Role has a Policy that has a Rule that says ipv4 allow all any any any, so I don't see why arp is being dropped.

If it is being dropped, how would I make a rule to allow it anyway? I can only choose between ipv4 and ipv6 protocols anyway...

Does anyone have a good idea, or maybe someone's seen this before?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Connect to a VLAN via an Access point - No DHCP?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 03, 2019 05:58 AM

You've covered the right parts with checking the User Role permits the client to obtain a DHCP address. How is DHCP provided to the client, via the controller, a DHCP server in the VLAN or via an ip-helper? Is all the correct VLAN's tagged in place? If you are using an ip-helper make sure the necessary routing and L3 interfaces are in place.

Feel free to set up a DHCP debug and post the output here.

config t
    logging level debugging network process dhcpd
    logging level debugging network subcat dhcp

• 3.  RE: Connect to a VLAN via an Access point - No DHCP?

Posted May 05, 2019 07:54 PM

It's a DHCP server in the same VLAN, so I'm expecting the WLC to not know or care about that traffic, I just want it to connect the VLANs together.  I don't see ARP traffic either -- but I do see SSDP and some other traffic, so I know it's linked to the correct VLAN. 

I don't expect those commands to help because I assume they only apply to the controller's DHCP services, but I'll run them anyway to check.

I can't see that it will be anything other than the roles/policies/rules as explained above. I might have to tear down the config for the SSID and start again slowly if I can't find anything else.  Either way, I'll post back here once it's fixed.

Thanks for replying!