Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

Posted Apr 03, 2014 04:06 AM

Hi,

I have some issues in a costumer that it is working with a client-wireless TP-Link TL-WA801ND. They have 3 servers behind this device.

They worked with IAP-93 and it seems they worked so fine.

Now we've installed a controller and convert the IAP to Campus AP and they experiment some issues (strange issues).

The main problem is that servers behind TP-Link don't reach the wired LAN on this VLAN. For example, I don't get response from this servers to the IP address of WLAN in this interface.

But when I do ping from wired network to servers, sometimes work but with high loss.

In WLAN user-table I see 3 TP-Link MAC address with the IP address of servers.

I disabled "IP spoofing" on firewall and "Suprressed ARP" on interface and it seems it worked better. I can do ping from servers behind TP-Link but it works in bursts and with high loss.

do you have any experience with clients behind this type of devices?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2014 05:12 AM

You might want to try disabling "Broadcast Filter ARP" in the Virtual AP for this to work:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/wlan_virtual_ap.htm

"Beginning with ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, the broadcast-filter arp parameter is enabled by default. Behaviors associated with these settings are enabled upon upgrade toArubaOS 6.1.3.2. If your controller supports clients behind a wireless bridge or virtual clients on VMware devices, you must disable the broadcast-filter arp setting to allow those clients to obtain an IP address. In previous releases of ArubaOS, the virtual AP profile included two unique broadcast filter parameters; the broadcast-filter all parameter, which filtered out all broadcast and multicast traffic in the air except DHCP response frames (these were converted to unicast frames and sent to the corresponding client) and the broadcast-filter arp parameter, which converted broadcast ARP requests to unicast messages sent directly to the client.

Starting with ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, the broadcast-filter arp setting includes the additional functionality of broadcast-filter all parameter, where DHCP response frames are sent as unicast to the corresponding client. This can impact DHCP discover/requested packets for clients behind a wireless bridge and virtual clients on VMware devices. Disable the broadcast-filter arp setting using the wlan virtual-ap <profile> no broadcast-filter arp command to resolve this issue and allow clients behind a wireless bridge or VMware devices to receive an IP address."

• 3.  RE: Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

Posted Apr 03, 2014 09:40 AM

Thanks cjoseph,

I tested too disabling broadcast arp but I didn't notice that PCs worked better.

I'm working on release 6.3.1.3, I have this parameters configured:

Virtual AP profile "xxxxxxx"
    ----------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    AAA Profile AAAxxxxxxx
    802.11K Profile default
    Hotspot 2.0 Profile default
    SSID Profile ssid_xxxxxx
    Virtual AP enable Enabled
    VLAN 312
    Forward mode tunnel
    Allowed band all
    Band Steering Disabled
    Steering Mode prefer-5ghz
    Dynamic Multicast Optimization (DMO) Disabled
    Dynamic Multicast Optimization (DMO) Threshold 6
    Drop Broadcast and Multicast Disabled
    Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast Disabled
    Authentication Failure Blacklist Time 3600 sec
    Blacklist Time 3600 sec
    Deny inter user traffic Disabled
    Deny time range N/A
    DoS Prevention Disabled
    HA Discovery on-association Enabled
    Mobile IP Enabled
    Preserve Client VLAN Disabled
    QinQ Outer VLAN 0
    Remote-AP Operation standard
    Station Blacklisting Disabled
    Strict Compliance Disabled
    VLAN Mobility Disabled
    FDB Update on Assoc Disabled
    WMM Traffic Management Profile N/A

May be other combination with ARP?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2014 09:59 AM

I would turn "Broadcast Filter ARP" and "Broadcast Filter ALL" both back to enabled.

• 5.  RE: Connectivity issues behind a wireless client

Posted Apr 03, 2014 10:02 AM
    Thanks,

I'll check it tomorrow morning. I'll go to the remote office.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CF4F55.FB74BD20]
    Yejudah Hernandez Perez
    ?rea T?cnica
    Integrador de Tecnolog?a y Soluciones
    Tel.902270002 Fax. 902270005
    bcSistemas de Comunicaci?n
    Centros Operativos: A Coru?a, Alicante, Barcelona, Canarias, Gij?n, Madrid, M?laga, Palma de Mallorca, Sevilla y Valencia
    yejudah.hernandez@bcsistemas.es http://www.bcsistemas.es
    P No imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el Medio Ambiente
    IMPORTANTE: El presente correo electr?nico es CONFIDENCIAL, siendo para el uso exclusivo del destinatario arriba mencionado. Si usted recibe este mensaje y no es el destinatario se?alado, o ha recibido esta comunicaci?n por error, le informamos que est? totalmente prohibida cualquier divulgaci?n, distribuci?n o reproducci?n de esta comunicaci?n, y le rogamos que nos lo notifique, nos devuelva el mensaje original a la direcci?n arriba mencionada y borre el mensaje. Gracias.
    IMPORTANT: This e-mail is intended for the above-named person(s) only and is CONFIDENTIAL, proprietary and/or Legally privileged. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return e-mail and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Connectivity issues behind a wireless client
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 12:22 PM

Sorry,

I couldn't update before.

It seems that the configuration I put before is good. The better configuration is:

Drop Broadcast and Multicast Disabled
    Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast Disabled

The last day I tried some configurations so fast and I didn't notice that the problem was solved.

Thanks a lot for your help,