Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller AP Licensing Reloads AOS 6.* - Master/Standby with centralised licensing

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Controller AP Licensing Reloads AOS 6.* - Master/Standby with centralised licensing

Posted Jun 09, 2017 06:44 AM

Hello all,

I have combed the community posts and read Installing a License . Neither makes it clear if you need to reboot all controllers if you multiple controllers.

General scenario:

2 Controllers, master / standby with centralised licensing.

AP licenses applied to aruba-master, license flags: (E)nabled,(R)eload

Do both controllers need a reload. Am I right to assume that you would reload the standby unit first, so that the new licenses appear there?

For others who may read this, what is the advice for other more complicated configurations with more than 2 controllers?

Specific situation:

We have a pair for 7240XM as Master / Standby on the latest AOS 6 code, with centralised licensing. New AP licenses applied to the master, stating reload needed.

Thank you al in advance for your help.

Komorebi

• 2.  RE: Controller AP Licensing Reloads AOS 6.* - Master/Standby with centralised licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2017 06:50 AM

If you never had a PEF license or an RF protect license applied to a controller, the controller will be missing parts of the configuration related to those licenses.  Any controller you want that license to be applied to needs to be rebooted.  If you are adding licenses to a controller that already has that type of license, you don't need to reboot.

If have centralized licensing enabled on two controllers and you don't have the PEF license, you need to apply it to the master controller and reboot both controllers.  If you already have PEF licenses applied and the controllers have been rebooted, BUT you need to add more PEF licenses, you can just apply it, and the totals will be updated without you rebooting the controllers.

Does that make sense?

• 3.  RE: Controller AP Licensing Reloads AOS 6.* - Master/Standby with centralised licensing

Posted Jun 09, 2017 07:15 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Just to check my understanding.

If adding PEF or RF Protect license to any controllers that have never had them, all will need a reboot.

Adding additional PEF and or RF Protect licenses does not require a reboot.

In our specific scenario, we have trial AP, PEF and RF licenses applied. All expired and I have extended the licenses.

PEF and RF have the Enabled flags. The AP license has Enabled and Reload. Do I need to reload both of the controllers, and I am assuming the recommendation is Standby first and then Master with centralised licensing?

Adey

• 4.  RE: Controller AP Licensing Reloads AOS 6.* - Master/Standby with centralised licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2017 07:22 AM

Typically when licenses expire, they reboot and remove the commands associated with those licenses.  If you then put in more PEF licenses, the controller needs to reboot to add the commands back.

You can reboot the controller that you applied the licenses to first, and then the standby.