Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Clustering

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Controller Clustering

Posted Sep 09, 2020 04:51 PM

Hello,

I have two Aruba Controllers 7030, i need to merge both controllers in one cluster to provide redundancy to Campus APs

as active/active that both terminte APs

and how to share licenses between them?

i need specific guide with configuration or at least the topology 

thanks all in advance

• 2.  RE: Controller Clustering

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2020 05:21 PM

Do you have a Mobility Master deployed in your environment. You will need to have a Mobility Master to Mobility Device (Controllers) topology. Do you have this?

• 3.  RE: Controller Clustering

Posted Sep 09, 2020 05:28 PM

Hello Dustin

No it's not available, can i use VRRP for example to merge both controllers?
    if there's no other option , can i use one of them to act as mobility master and the other as mobility controller?

• 4.  RE: Controller Clustering

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2020 05:30 PM

No you will not be able to cluster the contorllers together. You can use one as the Master, and the other as the local or MC.

• 5.  RE: Controller Clustering

Posted Sep 09, 2020 05:36 PM

Ok i understand

another question , in case of failure of MD or local , will the APs go down also or can Master terminate the APs instead?
    i mean would it provide redundancy for APs ?

• 6.  RE: Controller Clustering

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2020 05:42 PM

The controller in Master mode will not terminate APs. Your best bet without a Mobility Master would be to buy a controller to act as master, and set up HA between the two locals (MC).

• 7.  RE: Controller Clustering

Posted Sep 09, 2020 06:03 PM

okay one last question

if i didn't use cluster and i used Stand-alone MC and Standby Stand-alone topology , can i share license between both controllers?

• 8.  RE: Controller Clustering

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2020 06:23 PM

Yes a stand alone can act as a license server for the other stand alones.

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00092456en_us

• 9.  RE: Controller Clustering

Posted Sep 24, 2020 12:19 AM

If you configure a controller in ArubaOS as a standalone, you can set up VRRP between it and another standalone. One will act as a primary and the other as a secondary. In this configuration, with a single standalone controller (the standby is not really a controller, just a standby), the controller can terminate APs. So APs can terminate to primary standalone. If it goes down, then the APs can terminate to the secondary standalone. I have not tried it, but I believe you can even configure it with HA failover. You will need to configure VRRP between the two standalone controllers (don't forget to replicate the database as part of the VRRP configuration).