Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 05:27 AM
    We're currently running aos v6.4 on our controllers and we have planned an upgrade for early March but I'm just in the process of agreeing which firmware to upgrade to. At the moment v6.5.1.2 is the one we're looking at moving to. Has anyone in the community upgraded to this version and have you had any issue at all or would you recommend an entirely different version? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Jon

• 2.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:26 AM
    I suggest you wait until the next 6.5.x GA release

Any particular reason you are moving to AOS 6.5 ?

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 06:34 AM

We only get to upgrade once every 18months to 2years so wanted to upgrade to a reasonably new version.

The reason for going to 6.5.x was that the controllers now replace the MAC address with the hostname under username when not on a 802.11x network and we're just in the process of going rolling out 1200 iDevices and having hostname will make troubleshooting so much easier.

Thanks

Jon

• 4.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 07:19 AM
    Are you using ClearPass ?

Get Outlook for iOS

• 5.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 08:14 AM
    Ye

@Victor Fabian wrote:
    Are you using ClearPass ?

Get Outlook for iOS
    Yes we are.

• 6.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 09:17 AM

If you are planning to register those devices in advance you can use the Guest Device Repository(GDR) as an authentication/authorization source in ClearPass to register those devices and perform wireless mac authentication .

The GDR allows you to add a nickname for the device which can be return as the username to the controller so instead of just seeing the mac address as the username you will see the nickname used in the GDR

• 7.  RE: Controller Firmware Upgrade Advice

Posted Feb 14, 2017 09:21 AM

Thanks for that, I'll have at Clearpass to see what it can do for me before making any final decisions on the firmware version we move to.