Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Migration from one DC to another

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Controller Migration from one DC to another

Posted Mar 20, 2019 05:32 PM

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project to migrate our 3 wifi controllers from one data centre to another on an entirely different IP scheme. Two controllers act as a cluster using HRRP. The 3rd controller is stand alone and used to support APs that are much older (AP65s). The APs are currently configured to reach the controller via a static IP. The APs are in groups based on their site location and have different subnets. They get their IP address from a local DHCP server. When the controller is migrated the APs will lose connection and it will need to be re-established, I can't use aruba-master DNS entry as this is in use for the cluster. I've been advised to use DHCP option 43 and 60 but then I have the issue that option 60 is already being used for something else. I've explored using provisioning profiles and using an alternative DNS entry but I've been advised against trying that. Are there any other options or methods of doing this and moving all 3 controllers and terminating all APs onto the controllers?

• 2.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 06:14 AM
    Based on how you asked your question, I would get an extra controller to put into the new data center, and then migrate your access points one by one. Others may feel differently.

• 3.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

Posted Mar 21, 2019 09:20 AM

Hi

thanks for your reply. Yes, that would make sense but we dont have the option of an extra controller.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 09:54 AM
    If not, how will you maintain service during a migration?

• 5.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

Posted Mar 21, 2019 12:38 PM
    We’re not. We’re having a full outage while the controllers are physically moved.

• 6.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

Posted Mar 21, 2019 12:38 PM
    We’re not. We’re having a full outage while the controllers are physically moved.

• 7.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 08:39 PM
    Please have a professional Aruba Reseller advise you on what to do next. There are different things you can or cannot do based on your existing setup.

• 8.  RE: Controller Migration from one DC to another
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 08:48 PM
    To be clear, I am saying that because every plan requires a fail back plan, and if you have no way of testing your plan, much less a fail back plan, it could cost you alot of downtime. If you had an extra controller, it would be fairly straightforward to test your plan. Without that, you have serious peril of you don't have someone who has never done this before planning it.