Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 29, 2014 12:18 AM

Hi,

Hope everyone is good here.

Just curious to know what could be wrong with our controller (620) which is not leasing IP addresses to any type of client (wired and wireless) on 0-7 ports, though Its working fine with port 8 of the controller.

I have even tried creating another VLAN onto the controller and assign different interfaces to it but nothing seems to be working for me.

I have tested it on AOS 6.4, 6.3 and 6.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2014 01:43 AM

Does "show vlan status" indicate that those ports are in the VLAN with the DHCP server?  Are those interfaces trunks or access ports?

• 3.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 29, 2014 05:32 AM

Thanks for the response cjoseph.

It seems from the attached picture that interfaces are good.

All Interfaces (including port 8) are at access mode. 

Any other thing that i should try?

Capture.JPG

• 4.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 29, 2014 06:56 AM

Which VLAN ID are you trying to supply addresses to; VLAN 1 or VLAN 2?  You have VLAN 1 on GE1/8 and port channels 0-7; but VLAN 2 is on FE1/0-FE1/7.

Are the FE1/0-7 ports enabled and trusted?   show port status

Confirm DHCP configuration - show ip dhcp database

• 5.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 30, 2014 02:20 AM

Its not about a specific VLAN from which the client doesn't get IP address. For simplicity i have created 2 VLANs, 1 for 1/8 GE port and another for all the FE ports.

Clients don't get IPs no matter which VLAN they are associated to when connected through one of the FE ports on the controller. Things started working fine when client gets connected (directly or indirectly) through 1/8 GE port of the controller. Something about the FE ports i guess.

All the ports including 1/8 are configured as access and trusted ports.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Please note that for some reason i couldn't manage to arrange a client device (laptop) or AP for now to connect to the controller on one of the FE ports that is why the system is showing "down" against the "operstate". Kindly ignore this and assume that the device is connected and still not getting IP address as i'm experiencing this for days now.

• 6.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 30, 2014 10:17 AM

Are you running 6.3 or higher?  If so, since you are running a 620 controller you are limited to 256 leases to give out in DHCP.  Your two scopes exceed this.  Can you verify the following to make sure the pools are marked as active and have leases available?

show ip dhcp statistics

• 7.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 31, 2014 05:24 AM

clembo, to make it simple for your understanding and narrowing the problem, i have removed the 2nd VLAN and assigned all the interfaces on the controller to default VLAN (the one that carries 172.16.0.254). Still we don't get IPs from FE ports :(

Any idea why this is happening?

• 8.  RE: Controller Not leasing IPs from Internal DHCP Server

Posted Oct 31, 2014 09:03 AM

Now that you removed that VLAN from the scenario, can you please doublecheck that the FE ports have VLAN 1 assigned, they had VLAN 2 in your earlier output:

show vlan status

Please also doublecheck the DHCP statistics command to ensure that pool is active in the service.

show ip dhcp statistics