Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller as a Headend Gateway

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Controller as a Headend Gateway

Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:18 AM

Hello, 

i would like to ask several things:

1. If a controller acts as a Headend Gateway/VPN Concentrator, can they still be used to manage other APs?

2. The SD-branch design guide said "The Aruba 7200 Series, virtual gateways, and certain Aruba 7000 Series platforms can act as headend gateways." Which 7000 series controller can act as headend gateway?

3. How does each Controller's maximum AP capacity works if they act as headend gateway?

Thank you very much in advance.

• 2.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:48 AM

Hi,

As of today, the VPNC/Branch GW functionality is different from the controller functionality as the GW doesn't terminate APs.

Reach out to your local SE to discuss AOS 10 and how things will change.

As for VPNC options check the below image taken from https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/tg/AVD_SD-Branch-Design.pdf

ayman_mukaddam_0-1598255202832.png

• 3.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway

Posted Aug 24, 2020 05:07 AM

Hi Ayman,

What i understand was, if a controller acts as a VPNC, it cannot manage AP anymore? So if i want to manage some AP at the head office (where the VPNC lies), i need a separate controller?

• 4.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2020 07:23 AM

Hi,

Yes, for now, if you need to manage APs at HQ you will need to have separate controller(s) or configure the APs as controller-less (Instant) without the need of having a dedicated controller..

• 5.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway

Posted Aug 24, 2020 08:40 AM
    If you want to manage everything under the umbrella , another option is to deploy APs as IAPs so you can manage those via Central

• 6.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway

Posted Aug 24, 2020 08:46 AM

Hi victor,

if i create an IAP cluster for HQ and each branch, the branches wouldnt be able to connect to the HQ and i would need a controller, correct?

• 7.  RE: Controller as a Headend Gateway

Posted Aug 24, 2020 09:18 AM
    You will need a controller acting as your Headend Gateway so you can terminate the branch tunnels (either from an IAP or Branch Gateway)