Wireless Access

New Contributor

Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

We're in the process of migrating some AP-215s from our local master controller to a local controller with remote master using RAP. On the easily accessible APs, we were able to use a console cable to use setenv remote_ap 1 and they discovered and connected successfully to the new controllers. However, some of the APs are mounted on i-beams and we don't own a scissor lift. In hopes of avoiding renting a scissor lift to access the console port, I was hoping to identify a method of converting these APs into RAPs.

Thoughts I've had are to convert them to IAPs then to RAP, or re-provision as RAP from the local controller. I'm hesitant to dive into either of these options in fear that they'd become inaccessible and I won't have the means of backing out of either change.

Is there any documented or surefire way to perform the equivalent of a setenv remote_ap 1 *without* going in via console cable? 

FWIW, we're on 6.5.4.13 and the current controller is a 7030.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

All Replies
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at this option as part of the re-provision process but was hesitant as I wasn't sure if *just* setting the Remote AP would be enough. 

I ended up following the advice and created a provisioning profile and checked the Remote AP box. I created a new AP group, assigned the provisioning profile to that group, then provisioned the APs, again selecting the Remote AP option in the provision window.

After pushing the profile, I updated the uplink ports at the switch to the new local controller VLAN and the APs discovered and associated to the new remote master.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

You do not have to configure them as remote APs when moving them to the ap-group.  The provisioning profile will do that, period.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted

Can we do this on AOS 8 too? We have 30 or so APs in CAP mode we'd like to convert to RAP, and using these profiles seems easier than going to MM and then doing 'ap redeploy' command, then somehow block access to the controller for those APs so that they don't fall back from IAP to CAP straight away and then going to each IAP to convert them to RAPs :)

Highlighted
Guru Elite

yes.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: