Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

Posted Dec 17, 2019 04:29 PM

We're in the process of migrating some AP-215s from our local master controller to a local controller with remote master using RAP. On the easily accessible APs, we were able to use a console cable to use setenv remote_ap 1 and they discovered and connected successfully to the new controllers. However, some of the APs are mounted on i-beams and we don't own a scissor lift. In hopes of avoiding renting a scissor lift to access the console port, I was hoping to identify a method of converting these APs into RAPs.

Thoughts I've had are to convert them to IAPs then to RAP, or re-provision as RAP from the local controller. I'm hesitant to dive into either of these options in fear that they'd become inaccessible and I won't have the means of backing out of either change.

Is there any documented or surefire way to perform the equivalent of a setenv remote_ap 1 *without* going in via console cable? 

FWIW, we're on 6.5.4.13 and the current controller is a 7030.

• 2.  RE: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot
    Best Answer

• 3.  RE: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

Posted Dec 18, 2019 03:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at this option as part of the re-provision process but was hesitant as I wasn't sure if *just* setting the Remote AP would be enough. 

I ended up following the advice and created a provisioning profile and checked the Remote AP box. I created a new AP group, assigned the provisioning profile to that group, then provisioned the APs, again selecting the Remote AP option in the provision window.

After pushing the profile, I updated the uplink ports at the switch to the new local controller VLAN and the APs discovered and associated to the new remote master.

• 4.  RE: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2019 03:06 PM

You do not have to configure them as remote APs when moving them to the ap-group.  The provisioning profile will do that, period.

• 5.  RE: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

Posted Dec 19, 2019 06:09 AM

Can we do this on AOS 8 too? We have 30 or so APs in CAP mode we'd like to convert to RAP, and using these profiles seems easier than going to MM and then doing 'ap redeploy' command, then somehow block access to the controller for those APs so that they don't fall back from IAP to CAP straight away and then going to each IAP to convert them to RAPs :)

• 6.  RE: Converting CAP to RAP without Console/apboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2019 06:31 AM

yes.