Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting IAP into controller managed AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Converting IAP into controller managed AP

Posted Jun 14, 2014 10:29 AM

Hi!

I have question about converting APs. I have MC 3200XM on ArubaOS 6.1, 22x AP 105 and 4x AP 135 (converted from instant). Firstly I set IP for controller (VLAN 1 172.16.0.254/16), then converted all IAPs into APs indicate given controller IP. Everything works fine, but then I have to reset controller to factory settings. After that, I set controller new IP. My question is, if IP controller which I indicated when converting is fixed, non changeable and I fated to always use that IP? 

#AP135

• 2.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2014 10:33 AM

When you convert an IAP, in the flash of the AP, the "master" or controller IP is set.  You can make this dynamic by:

(1) provisioning access points before the controller was reset so that the AP uses ADP or DNS to find the controller

(2) Using a console cable and change the setenv master variable to nothing.

last resort:

(3) Using the reset button on the AP to turn the AP back into an IAP.  You would then have to convert it again by pointing to the new ip address.

• 3.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

Posted Jun 14, 2014 10:51 AM

Can I simply back to old controller IP and just reboot AP? 

• 4.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2014 11:56 AM

Yes, but depending on the mode, your AP might have to be in the CAP whitelist...

• 5.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

Posted Jun 14, 2014 06:13 PM

Which mode is demanding to do that? I set auto cert allow all, so all APs should be automatically in whitelist.

• 6.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2014 06:14 PM
    You should be fine, then.

• 7.  RE: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

Posted Jun 16, 2014 06:06 AM

It works, thanks a lot!