Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting the IAP to campus AP

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:48 PM

Hello Geeks,

I want to convert new IAPs to campus ap, but I have some concerns before I start since the controller is on VLAN 10 and IAPs should later on be connected to VLAN 5 after converting them. I have inter-vlan routing configured on the core switch so all VLANs can talk to each other. but, my question is when the IAP first boots up it get an IP address from VLAN 1, if I converted it to campus AP and after it is converted successful, can I just connect it to an access port assigned to VLAN 5 where I have options 43 and 60 configured on? will it work in this way, or I need to configure uplink management VLAN on the IAP before converting it?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 03:13 PM
    When an access point is converted, it is like wiping a campus AP. It will get it's IP address on the untagged vlan and it will attempt to contact the IP address of the controller that converted it. No provision is made for initial connectivity beyond the untagged vlan the access point is on.

• 3.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Jul 31, 2018 03:30 PM

Hi Joseph,

Thank for your quick response.

Ok, but if I want my converted IAPs to be in VLAN 5 (not Native VLAN), I just untagged that port to VLAN 5? I don't want my APs to stay in VLAN 1(default).

Thank you.

• 4.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 03:39 PM

Yes, make VLAN 5 the untagged VLAN on that port.

• 5.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Jul 31, 2018 03:56 PM

Ok Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Oct 29, 2018 04:55 PM

Sorry to jump in on your thread - but what is the quickest way to convert an IAP to an AP.  Everything I have looked at so far has required me to provide a controller address - I really just want it to reboot, as a new AP, and discover the controller itself.

Cheers

• 7.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 09:58 PM

@GlazNZ wrote:

Sorry to jump in on your thread - but what is the quickest way to convert an IAP to an AP.  Everything I have looked at so far has required me to provide a controller address - I really just want it to reboot, as a new AP, and discover the controller itself.

What model IAP?

• 8.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Oct 30, 2018 03:10 AM

IAP-315.

• 9.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 07:12 AM

It always requires a controller to convert it to a campus AP, because the controller is where the campus code is located.  You cannot download Campus AP code to an IAP; you would have to point it at a controller.

• 10.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 10:14 AM

@GlazNZ wrote:

IAP-315.

The IAP-315 will need to use the two step process for converting to Campus AP mode. 

Newer AP models are being released as Universal APs to address this issue. A Universal AP will detect whether a controller is available on the network or not, and automatically convert to Campus or start in Instant mode based on that discovery process. As mentioned, converting to a Campus AP always requires a controller to be present for providing the software download to the AP.

• 11.  RE: Converting the IAP to campus AP

Posted Oct 30, 2018 04:26 PM

Hi Glaznz,

First I have connected all my IAP to a layer3 PoE switch and attach a dhcp server with 2 DHCP scopes configured on it (VLAN1:192.168.1.X and VLAN5:192.168.5.X). After my IAPs booted up and appeared under one virtual controller, I converted them to campus AP.

While they were booting up again I have changed all access ports on the switch to vlan 5 were my APs are connected, knowing that dhcp of VLAN 5 is configured as the following link https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/DHCP_Option_43/Windows_Based_DHCP_Serve.htm#dhcp_option_43_3357486196_1050520

Approximately after 15 minutes campus APs will appear on your controller, so you can provision them.