Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Posted Feb 13, 2012 06:05 PM

Hi,

We're having some problems with connectivity drops (severely intermittent pings at random as an example) with some devices and while debugging I noticed some messages about IP Mobility, so I thought I'd try disabling Mobile IP and check out the results. So far, the devices in question haven't had any issues (famous last words?).

Background -

AP68 and AP61.

802.11g clients using WPA-PSK.

Most of the config is using default profiles.

I can give more specifics if required, but all I'm after really is an expert point of view, could disabling Mobile IP in the VAP give any benefit to a client in bridge forwarding mode?

• 2.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 06:11 PM

Is there any need for IP Mobility? How many controllers, APs, and VLANs?

• 3.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Posted Feb 13, 2012 08:06 PM
    Hi,

There's no need to have it enabled, there's no requirement for devices to cross subnets/vlans so I can disable it. We have a single M3 module, the vlans are local to the location of the AP (assume 1 AP per geographical location and approx 200 locations) and all in bridge mode. So we have the same vlan number at each site. Is it recommended to disable it if it's not required? If so, for what reason?

• 4.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 08:13 PM

Adam@CCS wrote:
    Hi,

There's no need to have it enabled, there's no requirement for devices to cross subnets/vlans so I can disable it. We have a single M3 module, the vlans are local to the location of the AP (assume 1 AP per geographical location and approx 200 locations) and all in bridge mode. So we have the same vlan number at each site. Is it recommended to disable it if it's not required? If so, for what reason?

It does not play a part in bridged mode. 

• 5.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Posted Feb 14, 2012 04:35 AM

Thanks all for the replies -

That's exactly the answer I was expecting, so I can't explain the improvement. I'll continue to monitor as I suppose it could just be a fluke, but I think going forward I'll disable Mobile IP on bridge mode VAPs (even if it is just a placebo!)

• 6.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Posted Feb 20, 2012 05:35 AM

Hi,

I've just been looking to see if there's a new release of OS5 and come across this in the release notes for 5.0.4.4

Bug ID Description
    In some cases, CPSEC AP’s and RAP’s configured with a bridge VAP might experience repeated
    crashes due to a kernel panic. This kernel panic is caused by the code that handles client mobility
    in bridge mode.
    Workaround:
    None.

I'm a bit confused by the terminolgy in use sometimes, is this/could this be related to my original question?

• 7.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2012 05:48 AM

Adam@CCS wrote:

Hi,

I've just been looking to see if there's a new release of OS5 and come across this in the release notes for 5.0.4.4

Bug ID Description
    In some cases, CPSEC AP’s and RAP’s configured with a bridge VAP might experience repeated
    crashes due to a kernel panic. This kernel panic is caused by the code that handles client mobility
    in bridge mode.
    Workaround:
    None.

I'm a bit confused by the terminolgy in use sometimes, is this/could this be related to my original question?

It very well could be.  Please open a case so that it can be confirmed in your specific case.

• 8.  RE: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Posted Feb 20, 2012 05:51 AM

Will do, thanks.