Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Could be possible move the config from M3MK1 controller to a new 7220 controller?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Could be possible move the config from M3MK1 controller to a new 7220 controller?

Posted Oct 23, 2013 04:50 AM

Hi,

I try to do this just like other controller (800 to 3200) just editing the interfaces on the config file but now from 6000 (M3) to the 7220 doesn´t work.

Any idea?

• 2.  RE: Could be possible move the config from M3MK1 controller to a new 7220 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:02 AM
      |   view attached

@Homerodesepcionado wrote:

Hi,

I try to do this just like other controller (800 to 3200) just editing the interfaces on the config file but now from 6000 (M3) to the 7220 doesn´t work.

Any idea?

DO NOT TRY TO EDIT THE INTERFACES, UNLESS YOU DO IT IN THE ORDER BELOW:

Here is the detailed version:  You WILL need a console cable

1.  Backup the Flash of the M3 and copy the flashbackup.tar.gz file  off via TFTP or ftp

2.  Upgrade your M3 to whatever version of code you want the 7200 to be on (6.2.x or 7.3.x)

3.  Make sure your access points and clients still work after you upgrade.  If it does not work, downgrade and stop.

4. Go on the licensing site (licensing.arubanetworks.com) and transfer your M3 licenses to your 7220 serial number and obtain the keys.  Save those keys electronically because we will need them very soon.

5.  Boot up the  7200 and give it a private ip address (it does not matter what ip address it has, because the restore later will wipe everything out)

6.  Upgrade the 7200 to whatever version of code you want to be on (6.2.1.4 is probably the latest right now)

7.  Restore the flash of the M3 onto the 7200 (do NOT reboot yet!)

8.  Connect the console cable from your computer to the 7200.  You need to connect the console cable, because the restore will restore the interface statements from the M3  and you will have NO connectivity when it reboots.  Paste the New licenses into the 7200 and THEN REBOOT.

9.  Look at your console session on the computer and wait until you see the login prompt.

10.  Login to the controller and type "show port status" to see what interfaces are there

11.  Choose the physical  interface you want as the uplink on the controller and configure it from scratch (it is just an example below):

config t

interface gigabitethernet 1/0

switchport mode trunk

switch port trunk native vlan 20

12.  Connect it to a switch port and attempt to ping the ip address of the controller from the outside, or ping the default gateway from the console.

The 6.2.1.4 release notes (attached) also have a chapter on upgrading to the 7200 series controller

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Could be possible move the config from M3MK1 controller to a new 7220 controller?

Posted Oct 28, 2013 12:13 PM

Hi,

I did the migration and seems like works but i got some issues:

I must change to the "trusted" (forgot this step in the procedure o I have a unidentified issue?) the uplink port (done).

The "country code" problem appears and some AP that was working now does not works:

(aruba-master) #show ap database local long flags E

AP Database
    -----------
    Name                                             Group         AP Type  IP Address      Status     Flags  Switch IP      Wired MAC Address  Serial #   Port  FQLN  Outer IP  User
    ----                                             -----         -------  ----------      ------     -----  ---------      -----------------  --------   ----  ----  --------  ----
    AP-Bib.Nivel-2.Edificio-3.H            default       135      14.25.5.1   Up 2m:33s  E      14.25.1.1  6c:XX:XX:XX:XX  XXXXXXXX  N/A   N/A   N/A      
    IAPN-AulaPS.Nivel-3.Edificio-8.H  APsDNs  135      14.25.9.23  Up 2m:32s  E      14.25.1.1  6c:XX:XX:XX:XX  XXXXXXXX   N/A   N/A   N/A      

Flags: U = Unprovisioned; N = Duplicate name; G = No such group; L = Unlicensed
           I = Inactive; D = Dirty or no config; E = Regulatory Domain Mismatch
           X = Maintenance Mode; P = PPPoE AP; B = Built-in AP
           R = Remote AP; R- = Remote AP requires Auth; C = Cellular RAP;
           c = CERT-based RAP; 1 = 802.1x authenticated AP; 2 = Using IKE version 2
           u = Custom-Cert RAP
           M = Mesh node; Y = Mesh Recovery

Port information is available only on 6xx controller.

Total APs:41

I check some things but seems like i need to change the "Country" from "US" to "MX":

(aruba-master) #show country

Model:Aruba7220
         Hardware:Unrestricted

(aruba-master) #

I have to remark that in the 6000 controller that AP was working fine and in first setup i put "MX" in the country code.

I check in the “Advanced Services > All Profile Management > AP > Regulatory Domain: “profile” move to MX reboot the AP and works (No E flag).

I have users and I test with my phone on one of the essid in production and works with the “Dynamic WPA,WPA2 8021X AES” essid used.

But when I check the user (connected/associated/authenticated) I saw in different roles that usually was just:

(Guest and authenticated roles), I check with the “GUI”: Security > Access Control > User Roles and I saw that some roles (802.1x) does not appears and other roles appears but without firewall polices “No configured”

I must to go to rollback because the time and concern about what if something more was deleted or modified.

Any Idea what was wrong?

We are thinking in do the config from scratch but I don´t have idea how to don´t modify some essids like “mesh clusters” or other profiles that have WPA-PSK key in the config…

Any idea how to do “preserve” the WPA-PSK config and cluster profiles (extract the block config of the old one config & insert in the new one?)?

Best regards.

• 4.  RE: Could be possible move the config from M3MK1 controller to a new 7220 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2013 12:50 PM

- If you do not see roles and firewall policies, that is because you have to:

1.  Restore config to 7220

2.  Do NOT write mem

3.  Paste In 7220 licenses

4.  DO NOT write mem

5.  Reboot

6.  Connect to console and configure interfaces

If you do not do it in this order, it will strip the config of your roles and policies.

What version of ArubaOS did you put on the 7220?