Wireless Access

MVP

Customers losing internet connectivity but connected to the SSID

Hi,

We are having an issue on new site with the 7005 controller and 325 access points.  Customers complaining that they are dropping connection throughout the day.  See the ticket trail below:

Hi there,

I've lost connectivity a couple of times ... connects to wireless network but no internet connectivity. Its happened a couple of times when in the meeting rooms i. also has happened to another Mac user.

Can connect after restarting the Mac - turning wireless on and off doesn't.

Just to add to this, I have had similar issues, connection completely dropped yesterday afternoon. Was unable to send emails, use skype etc. Had to reboot and connectivity eventually picked up again.

Have found connections unstable over the last couple of days.

Happened to me earlier today, and I've heard others saying the same thing. Not sure if being on Apple kit is the case here, but another 2 users (Mac) have had problems that I'm aware of. Turning wi-fi on and off has no impact, and rebooting seems to be the only way to solve it.

_______________-

Same issue for me, wifi randomly drops and the only way to restore is to reboot (MacBook Pro). Also found if I move to a meeting room or take my laptop home at night, when I return to my desk its reboot time (very annoying if your running a GoToMeeting etc).

The wifi shows I am connected but there is no connectivity. The Mac will then completely freeze if you attempt to switch wifi/turn off and needs to be rebooted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as having multiple complaints as you can see

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: Customers losing internet connectivity but connected to the SSID

We need more details:

- What version of ArubaOS?

- What model of access points?

- Are the users using encryption?

- What is the transmit power of the acces points?

Please see more details on how to troubleshoot disconnects here:  https://blogs.arubanetworks.com/solutions/removing-the-bottleneck-in-wireless/

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry I should have provided these.

Aruba OS 8.3.0.0

Access Points are 325s

What do you . mean by encryption? As in Anti Virus? They use symantec cloud AV and filevault as macbook encryption

Transmit power on 2.4 ghz min EIRP is 6 and Max is 12

5 ghz min EIRP is 5 and Max is 21 ( I believe these are the defaults)

Thanks

Guru Elite

The wireless encryption on the SSID.

You should constrain the maximum transmit power on the 5ghz band to 12 as well.  You should also make sure that in the Virtual AP profile "Drop Broadcasts and Unknown multicast" is enabled.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

Change the max to 12 on 5ghz?

Yes drop broadcast and multicast is enabled

Sorry - the wireless encryption on one of the SSIDs is WPA2-AES using 802.1x and the other SSID is just WPA2-PSK-AES

Guru Elite

You should try changing it to 12 or 15.  Drop broadcast and multicast should be enabled on both virtual Aps.

You also need to identify what band each user is on when they have problems.  You also need to make sure that you are only using 40 or 20 mhz channels.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

OK i will try that.

Have you heard of this issue of being connected to the SSID with no internet connectivity? Seems a bit strange to me

Yes it is enabled on both VAPs

Guru Elite

If you have ArubaOS 8.3.0.0, I would consider upgrading to 8.3.0.4 because there are quite  few connectivity fixes.  Without seeing your tech support, I cannot suggest anything more specific than that.

Outside of that, you could have a dhcp server that is giving out the default gateway of the clients as an ip address.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

I have just noticed that when clicking on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz symbol it shows this the default with default power levels

However then if i click the RF arm section to which i have created profiles it is different.

See the attached screenshots

What ones are being applied?

Thanks

Guru Elite

If there is an MM in this network, the radio profile and Airmatch is used.  If there is no MM, the ARM profile is used for transmit power.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: