Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

DHCP On Switch Or IAP

We are iin the process of rolling out a dedicated guest network using Aruba switches and Aruba Instant APs.

I have a question on the DHCP scope for the wireless clients and are wondering what other users are doing.

Do you create the DHCP scope on the switches or on the IAPs?

Is there an advantage of putting them on the switches rather then on the IAPs?

Thanks

MVP
MVP

Re: DHCP On Switch Or IAP

For guests I prefer to use a separate client vlan that is extended to the firewall. To prevent guests from accessing my corperate dhcp server, I prefer to use dhcp on the firewall to completely separate it and still maintain a central point of control.

But offcourse there are more possibilities such as use internal vlan with snat, rather than my external vlan example.

Please read the Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design, the dhcp options are well described, link.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
MVP Expert

Hi

There are many options as Marcel already told.

If there is no seperate firewall for guest traffic you can use the internal DHCP and 'magic' VLAN on the instant. It is designed to help in guest networks. You can use the internal firewall roles on the instant to make sure the guest can't access internal networks.

But without more information I can't advise on the 'best' solution.

Hoep this helps.

Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP Expert |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

I agree with you Frank

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: