Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP / VLAN Tagging

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  DHCP / VLAN Tagging

Posted Mar 21, 2013 04:35 PM

Hello everyone

My controller is a L2 install where the uplink router sends the request to the dhcp server, therefore the controller should be only tagging the packets on the correct vlan. Now my problem is that I created a vlan pool with 4 pool addresses. Two of them are getting 100% utilized and the other two getting around 65 utilized meaning in the remaining pools we still have at least 70 IP addresses available. However, some users are not getting an IP address? I noticed the controller always try to tag the client on the same vlan based on the mac address so I am thinking that the client had an IP address from the pool but when it got 100% utilized, the controller does not realize this and tag the client on the same vlan. Am I missing a configuration step or misunderstanding the process? I configured the pool with the hash and even algorithm and did not notice any significant change? Does the controller notice that the pool in the dhcp server is getting full and automatically assign the user to a different vlan?

Sorry for the long description

Nils

• 2.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:23 PM

@nilslau03 wrote:

Hello everyone

My controller is a L2 install where the uplink router sends the request to the dhcp server, therefore the controller should be only tagging the packets on the correct vlan. Now my problem is that I created a vlan pool with 4 pool addresses. Two of them are getting 100% utilized and the other two getting around 65 utilized meaning in the remaining pools we still have at least 70 IP addresses available. However, some users are not getting an IP address? I noticed the controller always try to tag the client on the same vlan based on the mac address so I am thinking that the client had an IP address from the pool but when it got 100% utilized, the controller does not realize this and tag the client on the same vlan. Am I missing a configuration step or misunderstanding the process? I configured the pool with the hash and even algorithm and did not notice any significant change? Does the controller notice that the pool in the dhcp server is getting full and automatically assign the user to a different vlan?

Sorry for the long description

Nils

the controller does not keep track of how full the pools are in either case.  You might have to kick all of your clients off to have the new pool scheme to be put in place.

• 3.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:13 AM

Do you mean kick them off from the dhcp server and have the user renew the ip addresses? Do you recommend hash or even algorithm?

Thank you,

Nils

• 4.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:25 AM

If you change your distribution scheme you should do a "aaa user delete all" to remove all users from the user table. 

• 5.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:34 AM

the aaa user delete all will delete all users connecting to the local controller. If have two vlan pools for two different SSIDs, the command will delete the users entry for all the users not based on a particular SSIDs unless you do it individually matching the mac adress. This of course is not very efficient. When deleting the user from the user table does it force the users to re-associte to the SSID?

Nils

• 6.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:17 AM

Do the different SSIDs give different roles?   You can delete all users in a role if so:

aaa user delete role <nameofrole>

It will be up to the client to determine whether it will reconnect.  If it is an 802.1X network, the clients should automatically reconnect.  You may get different behavior on other network types depending on the clients.

• 7.  RE: DHCP / VLAN Tagging

Posted Mar 22, 2013 02:54 PM

Thank you