Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP fingerprinting

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  DHCP fingerprinting

Posted Oct 13, 2016 07:40 AM

Hello,

We'd like to get some stats re the devices using our wireless network. We have Airwave and this provides DHCP fingerprint analysis, but it seems quite often to be inaccurate. I assume that the fingerprint information required for analysis is updated every so often, is that correct? So would a version upgrade improve this situation? Or is there anything I can do on the controllers without having to upgrade  which would help (we had problems with our last upgrade and so are not yet ready to do another)?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: DHCP fingerprinting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 07:57 AM

Please give an example of the inaccuracy and where you observe it in Airwave.

• 3.  RE: DHCP fingerprinting

Posted Oct 13, 2016 09:29 AM

Hello Colin,

Unhelpfully I don't have a specific example, this was raised by our wireless manager - the kind of thing he was talking about was devices that he knew to be (eg) Microsoft not showing as Microsoft on Airwave. I don't know whether Airwave was erroneously reporting these devices as another manufacturer/OS or whether they just appeared as 'unknown'. When he returns I will see if I can get more specifics from him.

But in general is there anything configurable within ArubaOS that affects the performance of fingerprinting that I could take a  look at in our config as a first step?

• 4.  RE: DHCP fingerprinting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 10:26 AM

Devices are typically identified by Manufacturer (Airwave) and Http fingerprint (Aruba).  Your wireless manager should look at the client detail page for a device that has the issue and record the http fingerprint as well as the OS listed in Airwave on that page.  Then they should open a tac case...