Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 22, 2015 04:14 PM

Hello,

Not quite sure how to search for my question, I'm sure someone has done it before. 

Currently I have a single controller that runs our Two SSIDs. It uses DHCP onboard the controller for the APs, but all VLAN traffic is given DHCP through a Windows DHCP server. 

I want to bring up a VRRP Master/Master but I don't now how DHCP is handled in all of this. 

Is it best practice to keep DHCP on the controllers? Should I move DHCP to the DHCP server? (how would I move it with minimal impact?)

• 2.  RE: DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 04:16 PM

Your problems go away when you move DHCP to an external server.

Move it over the weekend, for the least impact.

• 3.  RE: DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 04:17 PM
    Best practice would actually be to not use the controller as the DHCP server. I would use your existing DHCP server. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 4.  RE: DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 05:16 PM
    Moving the DHCP scope for your AP's would probably be most elegant. Where is the gateway for your AP subnet?

Assuming that the gateway is on your core (not the Aruba controller), simply recreate your AP scope on your server, then add an IP helper to the config for your AP subnet, just like you do for your user VLAN's.

To make the transition more graceful, create the scope, but keep it disabled. During your maintenance window, add the IP helper and activate the new DHCP scope.

Hope this helps!

Jay

• 5.  RE: DHCP on VRRP Master/Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 24, 2015 05:27 AM

By definition a DHCP cluster using a VRRP is not running in master/master but in master/backup.

Master/master means DHCP safe failover protocol which is L3 based (routable) and more flexible.