Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

[DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 05, 2017 01:02 PM

Hi,

We have 2 Controllers Aruba 7030 with firmware version 6.4.4.13 and 30 AP115 like povisined like campus AP.

So, in the section of "DHCP server" in the controller, i set a dns of the internal network (172.20.50.132) for resolution names.

The problem is: the resolution name works very slow, and i have several loss ping of that PARTICULAR SERVER only from wireless clients.

I have another DNS server (172.20.50.150) and the ping from a wireless client to this server works fine and loss only some packets before to set it like a DNS server in the Aruba controller

When i set the new DNS server (172.20.50.150) in the controller, the conectivity turns slow and loss pings issues appears.

The conectivity from wired connection to the DNS servers works Perfectly..

Some idea??

• 2.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 01:59 PM

When you say "slow" do you mean when you are pinging from the controller, or clients connected to the controller?  Did you try another DNS server like 8.8.8.8?

• 3.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 05, 2017 02:16 PM

hi cjoseph and thank you for you answer.

When i say "slow" i mean the wireless clients connected to the controller, and yes i tried with google's dns 8.8.8.8 and the behavior is the same.

• 4.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 02:23 PM

Okay.  The clients use the DNS server from the DHCP scope, and not where it is defined on the controller.

Do you have "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" enabled on all of your Virtual APS?

• 5.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 05, 2017 02:34 PM

The Scope DHCP and the DNS is defined in the controller

dns.jpg

Respect "Drop Broadcast and Unknow Multicast" is enable.

coso..jpg

• 6.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 03:17 PM

When did this problem start happening?

• 7.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 05, 2017 03:30 PM

Since we installed the solution, it never worked well.

We open a case in the aruba TAC, they reported issues interference, but we have very good download speed and the ping with the others hosts of the networks works fine. When we get a url take a long time to resolv the URL, but once resolve it works fine.

• 8.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 04:52 PM

Do you only have problems with any other applications?  Are you natting traffic?  Do you use a proxy?  Did you try nslookup on the client to see the true response time?

• 9.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 05, 2017 06:49 PM

-  I have issues with any application that require DNS resolution.

-  Yes the trafic to internet is Natting in the Firewall (ASA5516-x) with a PAT. But we have the same issue in the internal network and that traffic is not natting.

- I dont use Proxy

- I am Try DNS lookup and i get some timeouts before resolv any name or URL, especially in the 2.4ghz band.

• 10.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 07:16 PM

Have you tried to ping anything locally?

• 11.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 06, 2017 08:36 AM

Yes I tried, and works fine.

I have serveral ping loss from wireless client. with the DNS server configured in the controller.

I have several ping loss from wireless client with the DNS server configured in the controller. If i am ping from wired client to the same Server works fine.

• 12.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 06, 2017 08:41 AM

hello, 

Did you check the CRC on your different uplink ?

The wired and wireless clients are on the same subnet as your DNS server?

+

• 13.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 06, 2017 08:50 AM

Hi michael, how are you.

The wireless clients are in the network 172.23.0.0/16

the wired clients are in the network 172.20.0.0/16

the DNS server are in the network 172.20.50.0/24

I am not check the CRC in the uplinks ports, but the issue is ONLY between the wireless client and the DNS server.¿You mean check the CRC of the DNS packets?

• 14.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 07, 2017 01:53 AM

I'm fine thanks!

By the uplink, the cable connected to the controller and the switch.

Do you know the soft called : MTR ? google it it's a mix of ping plus tracert.

Could you please do a MTR from your wireless and wired clients and paste the results ?

We could see if a hope cause latency

+

• 15.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 07, 2017 09:38 AM

Michael I am send you the output that you request me.

172.20.50.132 is a DNS server

172.20.200.21 is the interface in the Core Switch, (the controller is directly connected)

172.23.8.1 is a gateway of the wireless client.

This is ping to 172.20.50.132 from wired client

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                             172.20.12.1 -    1 |  236 |  234 |    0 |    0 |    2 |    0 |
    |                       drax.lotba.gob.ar -    3 |  241 |  234 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

This is ping to 172.20.50.132 from wireless client.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                              172.23.8.1 -    0 |  241 |  241 |    0 |    1 |   20 |    2 |
    |                           172.20.200.21 -   69 |   66 |   21 |    0 |    6 |   39 |    1 |
    |                       drax.lotba.gob.ar -   55 |   77 |   35 |    0 |    2 |    6 |    2 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

I am realize that i have several ping loss to the interface directly connected no controller and the server DNS. But if i am ping directly to the interface 172.20.200.21 from a wireless client this is the result.

|                              172.23.8.1 -    0 |  201 |  201 |    1 |    2 |    5 |    2 |
    |                           172.20.200.21 -    1 |  198 |  197 |    1 |    2 |   14 |    2 |

I dont Have ping loss. The diference is, in the first case the Switch Core must route the packet to the 172.20.50.0/24 network. Not in the second case when the ping go to 172.20.200.21 because the controller is directly connected to that network.

Sorry for my bad english :( .

• 16.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 07, 2017 01:24 PM
    Hello,

It's OK for your English :)

It's the same with a same client into the same subnet as your dns server?

If yes it's a network issues if no it's related to your server.

About the server, is it a virtual? Physical? Last reboot? Last network drivers / firmware?

Let us know.

++

• 17.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 07, 2017 02:00 PM

With a client that is in the same network as DNS Server or in another wired Network, works fine.

It is a virtual server. It has the lastest network drivers. I don't know when it was last rebooted.

• 18.  RE: [DNS ISSUE] I have slow dns resolution and ping loss

Posted Sep 07, 2017 03:08 PM
    The client used for the test is on the same subnet and on the same hypervisor and on the same virtual switch on the same trunk?

Looks something related to that