Wireless Access

New Contributor

Dashboard Question following migration from 6.x to 8.x

First I'd like to apologize if this has been asked before and I just couldn't find it. 

Here's a quick background: I migrated from 6.5.4.6 to 8.4.0.4 using the migration tool following the setip for Migrating to Stand-alone Controller. In so far as I can tell everything went off without any issues.  However I now see when I login to the web interface at the top level dashboard it says, No controller found in selected group. Then I see in the 8.4 documentation it says New dashboard is not supported in the Master controller mode.

My questions are as follow:

Why is the dashboard gone in Master controller mode?

Is there anything I can do to get a dashboard?
I see in the downloads there are ISO and OVAs for Virtual Mobility Controllers and Virtual Mobility Masters.

Can Either of those help me?

I guess I don't understand enough the changes between 6 and 8 and that's totally on me, but I'm hoping someone can point me to some documentation that I can read to figure out what, if anything I can do to get my dashboard back.

I'd also be willing to switch to another ArubaOS version/branch in the 8.x series if that will get me a dashboard.

Thanks in advance and please if you need any more information let me know.

Guru Elite

Re: Dashboard Question following migration from 6.x to 8.x

Not an answer to your dashboard question, but to the rest of your questions:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP

Try installing the 8.2 series and building a simple MM-MD setup to get a better understanding of the AOS 8 architecture.

This is the same as a master-local setup in 6.x with the nuance being that the master in 6.x could not push interface configurations to the local.

This has been made possible with 8.x MM-MD (Master-local) setup.

I'd suggest watching the 8.x video series on YouTube by Airheads Broadcasting Channel.

Its a great resource to get you started on the practical end. That coupled with the guide mentioned above should get you going.

Ajay Kumar Ravipati
ACMA (V8) | ACMP (V8) | CCENT | CCNA (R&S) | PAN-OS 8.0 ACE
New Contributor

Thank you I needed just this, going through it now.

[Personal Information Removed]

New Contributor

I downgraded, I guess that’s the word, to 8.3.0.6 and I’m going to look at the documentation provided to see what I need to do related to your suggestion.
Does it make any difference that I’m currently running everything on a 7210?

MVP

I do not think it should matter provided its not a production network and you have another controller (hardware preferred since you already have a 7210) that could act as a MD. 

Better yet I suggest you put up two VMs (MM-VA and MC-VA) on a VMWare ESXI server and build a user lab to get a grip on the 8.x version and its features.

MM<>MD, connected via a layer 2 switch and terminate an AP or two (You need to point them to the MD as the MM will not be able to terminate any APs when running in an MM<>MD mode).

Use the user-guide to understand the concepts even better.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_83_Web_Help/Content/home.htm

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
--Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.

Ajay Kumar Ravipati
ACMA (V8) | ACMP (V8) | CCENT | CCNA (R&S) | PAN-OS 8.0 ACE
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: