Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Data rate and throughput

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Data rate and throughput

Posted May 10, 2017 10:26 AM

Hi there,

I have recently read the following:

For example, an 802.11g wireless access point has a maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. With one user connected to this access point, chances are the best throughput that could be expected is less than 50 percent of the maximum, or about 20 Mbps. If more users connect
    to the same access point, the throughput for each user would be even less, because of the contention between users sharing the same wireless medium.

I naturally understand the second part where the more users connected to the network, the lower the throughput. But for the first part (underlined), what is the reason? Is all the throughput lost due to the overhead (management, control frames, etc.)? I knew the overhead reduces throughput, but I thought this doesn't cost up to the 50% of the date rate. Is there any other reason?

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Data rate and throughput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2017 11:04 AM
    That is because wireless is half duplex.

• 3.  RE: Data rate and throughput

Posted May 10, 2017 05:33 PM

Hi Colin,

Yes it is, but when it is said that an 802.11g wireless access point has a maximum data rate of 54 Mbps it is already considered that this AP is working in half duplex.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Data rate and throughput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2017 12:47 AM

It's all in the overhead. In my experience we should be able to deliver at least 24Mbps or so of TCP throughput based on the 54Mbps max datarate of an 11a or 11g radio.

This gets progressively more efficient when using 11n or 11ac.

For peak performance with 11ac, we typically expect to see TCP throughput of at least 65% of the max over-the-air datarate.

• 5.  RE: Data rate and throughput

Posted May 11, 2017 09:53 AM

Hi Onno,

There are much more overhead than I thought. Many thanks.

Regards,

Julián