Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Data rate and wired speed in APs

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 23, 2019 08:19 AM
    Hi guys,

Let's take AP 375 as an example which has a max aggregate data rate of 2 Gbps. What's the actual wired speed or the actual speed on its wired port? Can I assume it will be the throughput, which is around half of the data rate? So can I assume in optimal conditions the AP will have wireless data rate of 2 Gbps and a wired data rate or speed of 1 Gbps? If not, what will be the value I will take for sizing the wired network?

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 10:40 AM

I don't think it requires that much thought.  

1- Put each access point on a gigabit ethernet link.

2- For each 100 access points that a controller terminates, give that controller a gigabit ethernet uplink to the core of your network.

• 3.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 23, 2019 10:47 AM

Hi,

Yeah, that's correct. But I mean for sizing the access switches uplinks. For example, if I have an access switch with 10 AP-375, what uplinks toward the aggregation/core layer I have to plan for? 10G uplinks? 20G uplinks? And if I have 24 AP-375 on an access switch? Those are just examples.

After that, yes, for each 100 access points the controller needs a gigabit ethernet uplink to the core.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 10:50 AM

I don't see that you would plan any different than a regular wired network, since most networks carry wired and wireless traffic.

• 5.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 24, 2019 05:33 PM

Well, the thing is my customer has an already deployed switched network, with access switches with 1G uplinks toward the aggregation layer. I am going to install many APs (he doesn't have wireless currently) and use new dedicated switches for these APs. Think like 24 PoE+ port switches with 24 AP-340, so I don't know the sizing of these switches uplinks toward the aggregation layer, and that's the reason of asking about the APs' speed in the wired side. The AP-340 datasheet says "aggregate peak data rate of 3.0 Gbps in dual-band mode", so I can think

24 x 3 Gbps = 72 Gbps of uplink --> it doesn't sounds good

OK, 3 Gbps is the maximum peak data rate, let's take the half

24 x 1.5 Gbps = 36 Gbps of uplink --> it still doesn't sounds good

Any tip?

Regards,

Julián

Regards,

Julián 

• 6.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 07:02 PM

What application(s) are you customers going to be supplying at 3gigs?  If the internet is not 1 gig, if the customer's email servers and file servers are only connected at one gigabit and wired users already share those resources, you should be fine.

• 7.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 24, 2019 11:56 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

If the internet is not 1 gig, if the customer's email servers and file servers are only connected at one gigabit and wired users already share those resources, you should be fine.

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you very much!

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 29, 2019 02:52 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

I don't think it requires that much thought.  

1- Put each access point on a gigabit ethernet link.

2- For each 100 access points that a controller terminates, give that controller a gigabit ethernet uplink to the core of your network.

Hi Colin,

Please one more doubt about this. As I said, my customer has all the switched network with 1G links, for access ports, between access and aggregation switches, and between aggregation and core switches. I have around 200 APs so I would need one 10G uplink or two 1G uplinks from the controller to the core, but the traffic will be limited to 1Gbps through the network. In this situation, does it makes sense to give the controller one gigabit ethernet uplink to the core for each 100 APs?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2019 02:56 PM

You will need to measure the customer's traffic pattern and the utilization on that link to make that determination.  I don't know your customer's network.

• 10.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

Posted Jan 29, 2019 03:01 PM

Hi,

But as an example, does it make sense to have two 1G uplinks from the controller to the core if there is a bottleneck of 1G through the switched network? So the speed through the GRE tunnels from the APs to the controller won't pass 1Gbps due to this bottleneck.

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: Data rate and wired speed in APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2019 03:08 PM

I think what makes sense is to design the connection between the controller and the core so that it is not the bottleneck, regardless of how the network is redesigned in the future.