Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

Posted Apr 03, 2014 05:30 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

In our environment, we have Aruba AP's and Aruba 3200 controllers.  PEAP is used for authentication to an IAS server.  We are enforcing both machine and user authentication.

There is an XP laptop that cannot seem to connect.  While the system was at the Windows login screen, I had the user undock the laptop and enable the wi-fi hardware switch.  Since the system is sitting at the login screen, a machine auth attempt should occur before too long, so we waited a couple of minutes, during which I had debug-level logging enabled on the controller.

I have attached a sanitized debug log to this post.  It looks like the laptop is sending a deauth, and unfortunately, the log entry just contains "Reason Unspecified Failure".

Any ideas on what could be the problem here?

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2014 05:36 PM

That is a generic error when a client sends a deauth and we do not know why.

You would probably get more useful information by doing a "show auth-tracebuf mac <mac address of client""

• 3.  RE: De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

Posted Apr 04, 2014 04:39 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks for the reply!

We did another troubleshooting session today.  We booted the system and let it sit at the Windows login prompt for a couple minutes.  Attached is the auth-tracebuf.

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2014 04:43 PM

What network card and driver date are you running on that XP device?

• 5.  RE: De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

Posted Apr 04, 2014 05:46 PM
      |   view attached

I have requested that info.  In the meantime, here is the user-debug that corresponds to the auth-tracebuf.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: De-auth with "Reason Unspecified Failure"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2014 05:54 PM

the user debug is less verbose than the auth-tracebuf.

I would upgrade the WLAN driver to the latest if that is the only device with the issue.  ...