Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Debugging High cpu usage on controller

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Debugging High cpu usage on controller

Posted Jun 28, 2017 05:26 AM

Hi,

I'm running ArubaOS 6.5.3.0 on a 7005 controller. I've got 3 SSIDs configured and am

1). Using Clearpass to assign roles to users which the controller then uses to assign appropriate policies

2). assigning  both ipv4 and ipv6 IP addresses to a client (so I can sort out our logging of ipv6 RADIUS attributes)

3). Suppporting airgroup functionality ( using clearpass )

Everything seems to be o.k. but on two occasions clients have been unable to connect to any of the SSIDs and the web interface has been unresponsive (wouldn't even display a page). Logging on via the CLI shows 30% high user mode CPU.

A reboot cures things but what can I do to get some debug info that might be useful to tech support ?

This is our dev controller supporting our building and I'd like to resolve the issue before we roll out 6.5 on our production network

Rgdfs

Alex

• 2.  RE: Debugging High cpu usage on controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 05:38 AM

Hey, I'd start with the following information it might give you some clues as to what is up or will at least help TAC debug any problems.

Show the current CPU load: 

#show cpuload 

Show current CPU load based on processes  

#show cpuload current

Show the current memory usage

#show memory  debug verbose

And to show everything :D 

#show tech-support 

It might be worth posting a little more about your environment, for example how many users, how many AP's how many firewall sessions you have open? Some of these commands mayt need to be run from the serial port if the CLI is unresponsive. Are you doing any DPI etc? It might be a case that you are reaching the platform limit or a process is causing a CPU spike.

• 3.  RE: Debugging High cpu usage on controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 07:36 AM
    You should open a case with TAC, otherwise you would just be guessing. It could be created by your network, a configuration issue or a bug.

• 4.  RE: Debugging High cpu usage on controller

Posted Jun 28, 2017 07:59 AM

Yup , That's what I'm going to do . But if theres any info I can get when its dead that would be good.  If it dies again I'm going to have to reboot it to get the service on line. Can't leave it dead while we arrange a support call

A

• 5.  RE: Debugging High cpu usage on controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 08:56 AM

You should get the tech support.

You should try a different physical port, just in case there is a chance that port is going bad.

You should also make sure that there is no dhcp server giving out the ip address of the controller.