Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 07, 2012 01:51 PM

I added a bunch of Cisco switches into Airwave and it automatically adds all of the switches' CDP neighbors, including the switch's own management interface. So now there are two separate entries in Airwave for a bunch of the switches; one for the switch itself and another for its management interface. I don't want the management interfaces in Airwave because they are a waste of devices on my 500-device license, but I will delete them and then 5 minutes later they will pop right back in. I have "Read CDP Table for Device Discovery" disabled in the Group settings but they still keep coming back. Can anyone help? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 08, 2012 04:09 AM

Disabling the polling might not take effect for a little while as AMP gets the last few polls out of its system. Try deleting a duplicate device after a few hours and see if it still comes back.

Can you share a few details about the data in particular? AMP tries hard to avoid discovering duplicate devices, so I'm curious to see how it is failing. Please supply the following if you can:

- Name of original switch in AMP

- Domain of original switch in AMP (if AMP has the domain - visible on the Manage page)

- Name of the CDP neighbor that results in the duplicate

Has AMP fetched the IP address information for the original switches interfaces? It will only be able to fetch the IPs if it has the switche's CLI credentials.

AMP tries to detect duplicates using the name and IP address, so I'm guessing the name doesn't match up for some reason, and your AMP does not have CLI credentials for the switch so it isn't able to fetch the management interface's IP and detect the duplicate that way either.

• 3.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 08, 2012 10:55 AM
      |   view attached

I attempted to delete the duplicates again this morning, and again they came back the next time AMP polled for devices. Additional information some of the data is attached in an Excel spreadsheet. These are just a few of the switches that have duplicates. There is a total of about 50 duplicate switches in Airwave right now. The domain of the switches is not listed on Airwave.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AirwaveDuplicateSwitches.pdf   171 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 08, 2012 09:09 PM

It definitely shouldn't be creating duplicates if the IP matches directly. What version of Airwave are you using? Are you sure the duplicate switches are being discovered via the CDP neighbors you listed and not from another source, like CDP neighbors from a non-Cisco switch or a recurring device discovery scan?

What was the CDP polling interval before you disabled it? I have found Airwave will keep polling for up to 4 * (polling period) before the polling management system will refresh and notice polling has been disabled. So if it was set to 4 hours, it might continue polling for up to 16 hours.

• 5.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 09, 2012 08:17 AM

Also I am using the latest version of Airwave.

• 6.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 11, 2012 09:46 PM

Any scheduled scans would be viewable on the Device Setup > Discovery page.

Just to confirm, the "IP Address" field on the Monitoring page for an original switch and a duplicate switch is the same? (as opposed to the duplicate's IP matching one of the original switch's interface IPs, but not the "main" IP AMP is using to contact it)

I was mistaken about what I said regarding the delayed stop for polling. Devices should stop being discovered via CDP immediately after disabling "Read CDP Table for Device Discovery" on the switches' group's Basic page.

• 7.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 12, 2012 08:36 AM

Yes, the IP address in Airwave is the same for both the switch I imported from a .CSV file and the duplicate that Airwave adds.

• 8.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 14, 2012 03:26 AM

I am out of ideas as to why it's still discovering them and why it is creating duplicates in the first place. I would contact support at this point to open a ticket.

• 9.  RE: Deleted Cisco Management Interfaces Keep Coming Back!

Posted Mar 09, 2012 08:17 AM

The only devices in Airwave other than Aruba controllers and access points are Cisco switches. The polling period was only 15 minutes before I disabled it, so I see no reason it should still be discovering them. I am not sure if it is being found by the CDP neighbors tool or if it is from a different scan. Is there a way for me to see which scan is bringing them in?