Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying Dual Bands APs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 09, 2012 03:58 PM

Okay i got a question

I have been reading the VRDs.  And i read in one of them that when you deploying this you have to be carefull because if you just do a site survey for a 2.4ghz coverage then you get the 5ghz issue,  which got less  coverage range.  Then you finish with a design of  5ghz island all over the place and the band steering cannot be as effective moving clients..

Now if i plan deploying a 2 band AP like a 105 should i do the site survey in 5ghz to not have this problem? or what you guys recommend i should do with this to do a proper site survey and making both bands work properly?

• 2.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 09, 2012 04:08 PM

Survey for 5GHz, place the APs and let ARM adjust the 2.4GHz coverage accordingly.  The 5GHz radios will most likely keep their power high and the 2.4GHz will be somewhat less. 

• 3.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 09, 2012 04:11 PM

Thanks Olino

these VRDs got lot of useful info... im getting notice of some things im not taking in consideration that i should.   Great info with those  VRDs guys

• 4.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 14, 2012 07:09 PM

Surveying/RF planning using 5 GHz as the 'primary' requirement also has the side-effect of aligning you for an easier transition to future standards (e.g. 802.11ac) that will (re)use 5 GHz as well.     

• 5.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 25, 2012 08:21 PM

Hello i got another quetsion regarding this...

Does  wireless N on 5ghz band has the same indoor range than the N on 2.4ghz

I guess on 2.4ghz itas  250 feets...

Another question

When you got a client which just got 802.11g card and i got another clietn with wireless N card

And let say i got one access point  which is working on ht on wireless n

Does my wireless card on N  will have better signal than my other  wireless card with g?

• 6.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 25, 2012 09:45 PM

5 GHz 'anything' does not have the same range as 2.4 GHz 'anything' ;)   So no, Wireless 5 GHz N will not go 'as far' as Wireless 2.4 Ghz N.

At the same distance from an AP,  a Wireless N client will outperform the Wireless G client for sure.   Wireless N has a different modulation, and a different approach to multipath than previous standards.  

JF

• 7.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 25, 2012 11:42 PM

Thank you very much jfernyc

Your asnwers are really aprecited here!!

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Jul 26, 2012 12:09 AM

Anytime Carlos.

Happy to assist.

JF

• 9.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Aug 03, 2012 08:42 PM

Hello again

Well i had some free time today at work(finally) and i was looking forward to test this.

I was testing with an AP 105

With my laptop with a program(inssider) looking the rssi value  to see how strong was the signal(my laptop got abgn card)

I could see that the 2.4ghz band was less stronger than the 5ghz band for some reason... 

I was looking fordward to see the 2.4ghz stronger than the 5 ghz band but didnt happen

Is there anyhing im doing wrong? i mean i just did a fast config with the WLAN wizard...  but i dont know what im missing or what im doing wrong

Maybe i guess the ARM it adjusting that automatically  the power level of the 2.4ghz band as there are OTHERs aps around the building on 2.4ghz... and werll also there is NOONE using the 5ghz band.

Is there any command  in which i can see maybe the max power it can transmit and the power its using? or something like that? or something that lead me to see that 2.4ghz has more range than 5ghz? not that i dont bealive in what the document says it just htat i wanted to see it testing you know and see it working like im reading.

• 10.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2012 09:18 PM

show ap active

• 11.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Aug 03, 2012 09:23 PM

Yeah i saw that

Alternet_Lab) #show ap active

Active AP Table --------------- Name          Group          IP Address   11g Clients  11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  11a Clients  11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP  AP Type    Flags  Uptime        Outer IP ----          -----          ----------   -----------  -------------------  -----------  -------------------  -------    -----  ------        -------- ServerRoom_1  OptimizedWifi  172.16.3.70  0            AP:HT:11/22.5/22.5   0            AP:HT:44+/23/23      OAW-AP105  2d 

But the thing is that i guess we are looking here at the EIRP and MAX EIRP

Which is higher the values for the 5Ghz band than with 2.4ghz band

Shouldnt it be  that the 2.4ghz get better value for this ?

• 12.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2012 09:38 PM

Max EIRP is limited by the model and regulatory domain of the device.  2.4ghz signal propagates further than 5ghz at the same power has more to do with the frequency  being lower, than anything else.  

A dual-band radio could have each radio at different power, depending on the environment which would explain the initial difference.  If they were the same power, the 2.4ghz signal would propagate better, both in free space as well as through objects.

• 13.  RE: Deploying Dual Bands APs

Posted Aug 03, 2012 11:48 PM

Thank you for your explanation Collin!